Pine-Richland diver Giordano takes PIAA gold
TribLIVE Sports Videos
There was little left to accomplish this season for Pine-Richland diver Dominic Giordano after breaking the WPIAL championship diving record a few weeks ago.
The senior wanted to take the state gold, too, and when he did last weekend with a score of 584.45, the effort was simply, “the icing on the cake.”
“As a senior, I wanted to finish up strong,” Giordano said. “I have been chasing the state title, and it was great to get it.”
With a diving future at Florida State already secured, Giordano wanted to earn the distinction of being the best diver in the state at the high school level. Although it wasn't easy, the senior sometimes makes it look that way.
“I did dive really well, but there were two or three I wanted to do better on,” he said. “There was one I messed up, but overall I did well.”
Giordano said he knew it would be a close competition, and he was right: Silver medalist Ian Forlini of William Tennent scored a 572.20.
“I didn't look at the scoreboard, and I did not pay attention to him,” Giordano said. “I focused on my coach and had to relax. I did look at the score before the last round, and we were too close for what I would have liked.”
Giordano got a warm reception from his coaches and teammates.
“It was just a nice way to end my four years,” he said. “It was a nice moment for me with Maria (Misenhelter), my coach, and all the girls who went to states.
“Now I will work hard with the high school season over and dive with my club team four or five times a week to get ready for nationals this summer.”
Also performing well at the state championship were Pine-Richland's Allison Murslack, who took sixth in the 500 freestyle with a time of 5 minutes, 0.85 seconds and Kristen Murslack, who swam a 1:03.67 in the 100 breaststroke, earning a fourth-place finish.
Jerry Clark is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers to retire Joe Greene’s jersey number
- Pirates’ Alvarez continues to sit, work on throwing woes
- Pittsburgh braces for waves of marches, demonstrations this week
- Emailed notice for federal jury duty a hoax
- Temple dumps SAT, ACT scores from application process
- Police investigate possible shooting in Northview Heights
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Charges dropped against WVU running back Smallwood
- Murrysville Legion eliminated from state tournament
- Penn State gets verbal from Maryland defensive end
- Duquesne men’s basketball opens season Nov. 15