Ligonier swim team begins season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Ligonier Valley High School Rams traveled Dec. 11 to compete against Huntingdon at Juniata College. The final score, Rams girls 70-90 and the boys tied it up at 96 each.
The girls 200 medley relay consisting of Suzie Stoll, Catou Cmar, Allison Fox and Shelbi Shearer took first place along with the girls 200 meter freestyle relay including Stoll, Skylar Piper, Sarah Ragan and Cmar. The boys 200 medley relay took second with swimmers Dylon Kuhn, Quade Jackman, Josh Meharey and Sam Maust. Second also went to the boys 200 meter freestyle relay Phil Cornell, Meharey, Jackman and Isaac Deemer. The boys 400 meter freestyle relay won their event with Maust, Deemer, Kuhn and Cornell. The girls 400 freestyle relay took second with Taylor McCracken, Skylar Piper, Nicole Wissinger and Shearer.
Shearer earned first places in the 50 freestyle and 400 fee, Cmar collected first places in the 200 free and 100 breast stroke and Sam Maust snagged first places in the 200 IM and 400 free.
Second places went to Piper in the 200 free, Kuhn, 50 free; Fox, 100 butterfly; McCracken, 100 freestyle; Deemer, 100 freestyle; Suzie Stoll, 100 backstroke; and Cornell, 100 backstroke.
Kuhn, Piper, Cornell, Maust, Jackman and Stoll earned personal-best times in each of their individual events.
The Ligonier Rams swim team kicked off the season Dec. 9 with a meet against Holidaysburg. Even though both of the small Rams teams, boys and girls swam a competitive meet, the Holidaysburg team prevailed. The final score was girls 56-113 and boys 38-115.
The Ligonier team members who scored team points are Shearer with first places in each of her individual events 200 freestyle and 500 free. Cmar also collected first places in the 200 IM and 100 breaststroke.
For the boys, Maust tagged second places in both the 200 free and 500 free and teammates Cornell took second place in the 200 IM and Meharey finished second in the 100 butterfly.
Both the girls and boys 400 relays earned a second-place finish. The girls relay consisted of Shearer, Wissinger, Abby Salancy and Fox. On the boys side in the relay were Maust, Kuhn, Cornell and Jackman.
Jackman, Kuhn, McCracken and Meharey accomplished their personal-best times in certain events.
The Rams team played host Monday to Northern Cambria and again Wednesday with Central Cambria. The Ligonier team will compete Friday at Derry. Ligonier diver Bethanie Meharey, district winner for the 2012-13 season will dive.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Rex Energy expanding gas production through new MarkWest plants in Butler County
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Sewickley Academy freshman making difference through love of science
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot