Shady Side girls swim teams win; boys suffer setback
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy swim team took on Plum on Feb. 4. The girls won 96-74, and the boys suffered a 95-73 loss.
On Feb. 6, the girls beat Mars, 95-68, and the boys lost, 85-84.
“It was a couple of tough losses for the boys, although we swam incredibly well against Mars,” SSA coach John Landreth said. “The girls are hitting their stride and can clinch the section title against Springdale on Feb. 13.”
Posting wins for the girls against Plum were the 200 medley relay team of Caroline Colville, Ashley Azzarello, Lindsey Miller and Emily Jaffe; the 400 freestyle relay team of Rachael Roman, Charlotte Redican, Colville and Jenna Wallace; Azzarello in the 200 and 100 freestyles; Colville in the 200 IM; Jaffe in the 100 butterfly; and Mara Barron in the 100 backstroke.
Boys winners against Plum were the 400 freestyle relay team of Jason Weis, Zachary Coughlin, Frank Benckart and Andrew Lehman; Brendan Leech in the 200 IM and 100 freestyle; and Lehman in the 50 freestyle and 100 backstroke.
Girls winners against Mars were the 200 freestyle relay team of Redican, Olivia Lyda, Wallace and Jaffe; Colville in the 200 freestyle and 100 breaststroke; Azzarello in the 50 freestyle and 100 backstroke; Meredith Brown in the 200 IM; Lyda in the 100 butterfly; and the 200 medley relay team of Azzarello, Jaffe, Colville and Wallace.
For the boys, Leech won the 100 backstroke.
The Fox Chapel swimming and diving teams had their final home meet of the season against Allderdice on Feb. 4.
Both team won as the girls posted at 106-62 decision and the boys recorded a 98-74 victory,
In girls diving, Miranda Simon placed first and Emily Eames second.
In swimming, the girls had eight first-place finishes. Maura Clark took first in the 200 and 500 freestyles, Franny Dean in the 50 freestyle and 100 breaststroke, and Sia Beasley in the 100 butterfly and 100 backstroke.
The 200 freestyle relay team of Dean, Adlai Nelson, Nicola Lee-Oesterreich and Megan Wiese; and the 400 freestyle relay team of Emme Germanos, Erin Curry, Emily Trageser and Madi Doer also posted wins.
For the boys, Addison Lynch won the diving competition.
In swimming, the boys had six first-place finishes. Noah Cagley took first in the 200 and 50 freestyles, Andrew Siar in the 50 freestyle and Dante Cordaro in the 100 butterfly and 100 breaststroke.
The 400 freestyle relay team of Cagley, Siar, Logan Foster and Cordaro also won.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Trial near for Shaler man paralyzed in Pittsburgh police shooting
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Americans detained in North Korea call for US help
- Baldwin native McNulty’s storied legal career leads to Grove City post