Shady Side swimmers to battle for WPIAL gold
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy swim team will have nine boys and 10 girls participating in this weekend's WPIAL Class AA championships at Pitt's Trees Hall.
Representing the girls team are seniors Dominique DeRubeis in the 200 freestyle relay, Rachael Roman in the 200 freestyle and 200 and 400 freestyle relays, and Jenna Wallace in the 200 freestyle relay; juniors Emily Jaffe in the 100 butterfly, 500 freestyle, 200 medley and 400 freestyle relays, and Charlotte Redican in the 200 freestyle relay; sophomores Meredith Brown in the 200 freestyle relay, Caroline Colville in the 200 freestyle, 500 freestyle, 200 medley and 400 freestyle relays, and Lindsey Miller in the 100 breaststroke and 200 medley relay; and freshmen Ashley Azzerello in the 50 freestyle, 100 backstroke, 200 medley and 400 freestyle relays, and Olivia Lyda in the 100 butterfly and 200 freestyle relay.
Competing for the boys will be seniors Frank Benckart in the 100 freestyle, 200 medley, 200 and 400 freestyle relays, and Jason Weis in the 200 and 100 freestyle, 200 and 400 freestyle relays; juniors Brendan Leech in the 200 freestyle, 100 back, 200 and 400 freestyle relays, Andrew Lehman in the 50 and 100 freestyle, 200 and 400 freestyle relays, and Ben Skinner in the 500 freestyle; sophomores Luke Pellegrini in the 100 breaststroke and 200 medley relay, and Jacob Sarner in the 200 medley relay; and freshmen Zac Coughlin in the 200 and 500 freestyle and 200 medley relay, and Ethan Forgas in the 200 medley relay.
“We are in a good position to capitalize on all of the hard work we have put in so far this season,” SSA coach John Landreth said. “Hopefully both teams can be top-five finishers again this year.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins release Carcillo from tryout contract
- Indiana County authorities investigate suspected homicide in Blairsville
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery sent explicit emails
- West Newton man found dead in helicopter wreckage near Rostraver Airport
- Coroner identifies Cranberry woman who died in McConnells Mill fall
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Toomey joins chorus criticizing Goddard College for inviting Abu-Jamal to speak
- Lawmakers demand answers on Legionnaires’ outbreak from new VA secretary
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Police: Westmoreland man dead of gunshot had fired at state troopers during pursuit
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase