West Mifflin senior finishes 2nd in 100-yard butterfly
TribLIVE Sports Videos
LEWISBURG — Tough deal for Brad Kolesar.
The West Mifflin senior lowered his WPIAL record in the 100-yard butterfly at Friday's PIAA Class AA swimming and diving championships, yet Kolesar, who finished in 50.66 seconds, wasn't awarded a gold medal.
That went to Corry Area's Brent Benedict, who missed the PIAA record by one-hundredth of a second at Bucknell University's Kinney Natatorium with a 48.57.
“That was interesting. Fast race,” Kolesar said. “That's an impressive time.”
Kolesar won a WPIAL title last month by swimming a 50.82 at Pitt's Trees Pool. He even hit the time he was aiming for, though it turned out to be not enough.
Not nearly enough.
“It's nice to beat my time from down at Pitt,” Kolesar said. “It would have been nice to win, but a ‘48' ... you have to give it to him.”
Two WPIAL swimmers won PIAA titles during the boys portion of the event.
Jarod Kehl of West Allegheny won the 200 free. Mars' Christopher Georgiadis took first in the 200 IM.
In the girls' portion, Geibel's Emily Zimcosky was second in the 50 free, and Sabrina Bowman of St. Joseph was the runner-up in the 100 fly.
Trinity Camp Hill leads the boys team standings with 105 points. Mars is third with 79.
Villa Maria Academy leads the girls meet with 131. South Fayette is the closest WPIAL team; the Lions are 12th with 31.
The two-day event concludes Saturday with six events: 100 free, 500 free, 100 backstroke, 100 breaststroke and 400 freestyle relay, as well as girls diving.
Kolesar enters Saturday's prelims as the No. 4 seed in the 100 backstroke.
Woodland Hills' Claudia Zido was 21st after the prelims Wednesday in the 200 free. Yough's Jessica Cochran placed 11th in the 100 fly Friday in 59.50.
Other locals swimming Saturday include Elizabeth Forward's Kam Faychak in the boys 100 breaststroke, as well as Yough's Madison Nester and Thomas Jefferson's Jennifer Hill in the girls 100 breaststroke.
Jason Mackey is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @Mackey_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot