WPIAL Section 1-AAA doubles tourney loaded with rematches
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Section 1-AAA doubles tournament provided some familiar matchups for the section's singles players.
Franklin Regional's Lauren Bailey and Natalia Perry combined to win an tight, three-set final over Penn-Trafford's Alexis Ryan and Charlotte Vertes, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5, at The Club in Monroeville last Thursday.
The win means Bailey again qualifies for the WPIAL Class AAA doubles tournament, which she did in 2010 and 2011, while Perry is a section champ in both singles and doubles in her freshman season.
Both the FR and P-T teams in the finals advance to the WPIAL doubles tournament, which begins Thursday at 1 p.m. at Norwin High School.
Not only was the final match something of a rematch between Perry and Vertes, who faced off in the section singles final two weeks earlier, the two semifinal matches pitted players from the same schools that met in singles.
In one semifinal, Perry and Bailey defeated Norwin's Alexa Holleran and Courtney O'Connell, 6-1, 6-0. Perry and Holleran also met in that round of the singles tournament.
In the other semifinal, Vertes and Ryan defeated Hempfield's Madison DeBone and Carly Bryan, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. Vertes and DeBone also met in the singles semifinals.
The third-place match also went the same way as in the singles tournament, as DeBone and Bryan defeated Holleran and O'Connell, 6-1, 6-4, for the section's final spot in the WPIAL tournament.
Each local school also had a second team compete in the tournament.
Norwin's Madi Guffey and Allie Green won their opening match by defeating Paige Kemsey and Annie Neurohr of Greensburg Salem, 10-7, but fell in the quarterfinals to Vertes and Ryan, 10-2.
Penn-Trafford's team of Sara Rupchak and Dana Kelly also won its opening match by defeating Amber Vozar and Shannon Sebak of Kiski Area, 10-5. They fell in the quarterfinals to Holleran and O'Connell, 10-7.
Franklin Regional's team of Jenna Bailey and Grayce Behnke fell in an opening-round tiebreak to Niki Kusy and Bella Lane of Latrobe, 11-10 (7-2).
Matt Grubba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Military academy members hone hacking skills at competition
- NHL notebook: Family says ex-Hawk Mikita has dementia
- Homework: Pittsburgh Home Show to feature celebs, wine and pets
- Penguins’ Ehrhoff being tested for concussion
- Acting helped ‘Justified’s’ Dillahunt overcome tragedy
- McCord to plead guilty to federal charges from campaign fundraising
- Week before sentencing, Ferrante seeks acquittal or new trial
- Monessen woman dies in truck-car crash on Route 51 in Fayette County
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- Designs by Frank Lloyd Wright nominated for World Heritage inclusion
- Pirates sign 2 to minor league deals