Peters Township girls score another tennis title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HERSHEY — The Peters Township girls tennis team captured its second consecutive PIAA Class AAA title with a 3-0 victory over Unionville on Saturday night at Hershey Racquet Club.
The Indians took the opening point with a 6-4, 6-2 doubles victory from Vida Komer and Jen Holcombe. Abby Cummings followed with a 7-5, 6-2 victory in singles; she rallied from a 4-1 deficit in the first set.
The clincher came in the other doubles match, a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 victory by Morgan Parisi and Megan Hixon.
“It feels great,” Komer said. “It's definitely exciting because there's no guarantee ever with tennis, so there were a lot of nerves going into this. It was relief and excitement when we won.”
“I'm happy for the girls,” coach Brandt Bowman said. “We set goals for the season to defend our titles — section, WPIAL and state — so I'm happy the girls stayed focus.”
The Indians finished 22-1 for their fourth state championship. Komer, the team's lone senior, will graduate a three-time state champion.
“She made history,” Bowman said.
Chris Garman is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wolf says he’ll work with state legislature to deal with pension woes
- Officials to limit tailgating before Jason Aldean concert at PNC Park
- Green Tree company’s complaint ends with settlement of false claims lawsuit
- Pittsburgh mayor promotes 3 officers, 2 firefighters
- Federal appeals court deals blow to Affordable Care Act
- UPMC McKeesport president reiterates hospital will remain open
- Strong demand drives East End apartment developers to expedite next project
- Rossi: Liriano no ace, but he’s Bucs’ key
- Moody’s downgrades Pa. rating; Corbett ponders pension reform session
- McCandless residents voice opposition to Wal-Mart plan
- Derry Township assault suspect arrested