Peters Township girls score another tennis title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HERSHEY — The Peters Township girls tennis team captured its second consecutive PIAA Class AAA title with a 3-0 victory over Unionville on Saturday night at Hershey Racquet Club.
The Indians took the opening point with a 6-4, 6-2 doubles victory from Vida Komer and Jen Holcombe. Abby Cummings followed with a 7-5, 6-2 victory in singles; she rallied from a 4-1 deficit in the first set.
The clincher came in the other doubles match, a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 victory by Morgan Parisi and Megan Hixon.
“It feels great,” Komer said. “It's definitely exciting because there's no guarantee ever with tennis, so there were a lot of nerves going into this. It was relief and excitement when we won.”
“I'm happy for the girls,” coach Brandt Bowman said. “We set goals for the season to defend our titles — section, WPIAL and state — so I'm happy the girls stayed focus.”
The Indians finished 22-1 for their fourth state championship. Komer, the team's lone senior, will graduate a three-time state champion.
“She made history,” Bowman said.
Chris Garman is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- PennDOT to replace drivers licenses issued since November without proper security features
- Rossi: Winnik nice, but not enough for Penguins
- Woman charged for holding teen drinking party after video found at Penn-Trafford
- Crews clean up ore spilled from train derailment in Butler County
- Bettman `intrigued’ by possible outdoor game at Beaver Stadium
- Steelers restructure Gilbert, Mitchell contracts; Pouncey close
- Penguins finally find way to beat Capitals
- Pennsylvania House passes liquor system privatization bill
- School aide accused of throwing shoe at Penn-Trafford special-needs student, causing brush burn
- Federal grand jury indicts chief operations manager for Pittsburgh office of Horizons Hospice
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen