Peters Township girls score another tennis title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HERSHEY — The Peters Township girls tennis team captured its second consecutive PIAA Class AAA title with a 3-0 victory over Unionville on Saturday night at Hershey Racquet Club.
The Indians took the opening point with a 6-4, 6-2 doubles victory from Vida Komer and Jen Holcombe. Abby Cummings followed with a 7-5, 6-2 victory in singles; she rallied from a 4-1 deficit in the first set.
The clincher came in the other doubles match, a 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 victory by Morgan Parisi and Megan Hixon.
“It feels great,” Komer said. “It's definitely exciting because there's no guarantee ever with tennis, so there were a lot of nerves going into this. It was relief and excitement when we won.”
“I'm happy for the girls,” coach Brandt Bowman said. “We set goals for the season to defend our titles — section, WPIAL and state — so I'm happy the girls stayed focus.”
The Indians finished 22-1 for their fourth state championship. Komer, the team's lone senior, will graduate a three-time state champion.
“She made history,” Bowman said.
Chris Garman is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- New Monroeville Mall policy aims to tame teen shoppers
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Pittsburgh producer revives, re-airs an expanded ‘Motown 25 ’
- Pirates sickened by pic of ‘Jihadi John’ wearing Bucs ball cap
- Gorman: WPIAL Class A title game a victory for small-town teams
- Previously convicted of embezzlement, Mt. Pleasant postal worker accused of mail theft
- Butler County teen dies in ATV accident
- 3 charged with selling heroin that killed Lower Burrell woman
- Indiana boys beat Beaver Falls for 1st WPIAL basketball title