Fox Chapel boys tennis has high expectations
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Last year, the Fox Chapel Area High School boys tennis team finished second in the section and made it to the WPIAL quarterfinals.
Despite losing some key seniors and seeing one of his top singles players move out of state, coach Dave Prevost is optimistic.
“I think we can do the playoffs this year,” Prevost said. “We still have some question marks but we have some strengths that will help lead to a good season.”
The team's main strength will be at singles.
“We're very solid in singles. We'll hold our own,” Prevost said.
Leading the way will be senior Ben Short who returns at No. 1 singles.
“He had some injury problems last year,” Prevost said. “We'll be watching his shoulder and hoping that he has a strong year.”
Junior Josh Lehman returns at singles along with senior Kathik Narayanan.
Freshman Sid Rajupet has also been impressive so far, along with juniors Patrick Campbell and Taha El-Magbri.
Prevost said that the next few weeks will determine what the lineup will look like.
“We have to work on finding some good doubles combinations,” he said. “There are a lot of JV players from last year who were occasional starters. We had 32 players try out for the team. Usually, we get about 40 but we have some talent in this year's turnout.
“We have some non-section matches coming up and we will use them as an opportunity to see who will be playing where and what JV players we will be moving up.”
Prevost expects another tough section battle.
“As usual, Shady Side Academy will be loaded,” Prevost said.
Central Catholic didn't lose anybody so they will be a strong team. Things look good for us and the team is ready to go.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers RB Archer trying to catch up after tough rookie season
- Steelers LB Timmons has grown into leadership role on defense
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- Steelers notebook: Backup QB Gradkowski remains out with shoulder issue
- Consol takes $603 million loss in second quarter
- Rising East Liberty out of reach for Pittsburgh’s poor
- Former Cal U football player cleared of assault charges sues university, police, prosecutor
- Dollars and sense: High cost of child care keeps many out of work force
- Pa. House speaker says overriding Wolf’s budget veto ‘an option’
- NATO holding rare emergency meeting at Turkey’s request
- Medical pot has advocate in Pennsylvania House