Section 1-AAA singles final a rematch of 2012
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The final of the Section 1-AAA tennis singles tournament was the expected rematch.
Defending champ Chad Kissell of Latrobe and two-time runner-up Cullen Price of Penn-Trafford set up another meeting in the section final with three wins each in the early rounds at The Club Sport & Health in Monroeville.
Unlike previous years, when the tournament was held on Thursday and Friday, the first three rounds this year were played on Monday and the final and third-place match were scheduled to be played Tuesday, after this edition's deadline.
Kissell, a sophomore, defeated Price, a junior, in last year's final, and both advanced to this year's title match with ease. Kissell did not drop a game on his way to the final, while Price dropped only one in a 6-1, 6-0 semifinal defeat of Kiski Area junior Tyler Paunovich.
Both players advance to next week's WPIAL tournament, as will the winner of the third-place match between Paunovich and his senior teammate, Charles Law.
Price will be the only player from a Star-area school in the WPIAL singles tournament, after three of the other five local entrants were eliminated in the quarterfinals.
Norwin senior Tyrell Greenwood won his opening match, 10-5, over Connellsville's Jim Manges, but he drew a tough slot on the bracket and faced Kissell in the quarterfinals.
Greenwood's teammate, Mitch Atkins, also reached the quarterfinals with a 10-5 win in the first round, where he beat Hempfield's Matt Abraham. The only sophomore other than Kissell in the field, Atkins was eliminated in the quarterfinals by Price.
Franklin Regional junior Rohan Hattangady came closest of the other local players to booking a spot in the semifinals. He defeated Greensburg Salem's Dillon Boggs, 10-2, before playing a closely contested quarterfinal against Law, which the Kiski Area senior won, 10-8.
FR junior Reno Casuccio was eliminated in the first round of the tournament by Paunovich, 10-2, while Penn-Trafford senior Dalton Yezovich drew the difficult task of facing Kissell, the top seed, in the opening round.
For results of the championship and third-place matches and the bracket for the WPIAL Class AAA singles tournament, visit www.wpial.org.
Matt Grubba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Would one big move kill Pirates’ future?
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- GNC revenue, sales drop, but vitamin retailer says plan in place
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Penn Township man seeking gun permit accused of bringing heroin to courthouse
- 3 men to stand trial over runaway Latrobe foster children
- Connellsville roundup: Mill Run leads series 2-0
- 3 injured in crash near zoo entrance in Highland Park
- Heyl: This dress is a steal
- Attorney had broad range of private, public clients
- Peduto offers ray of light to understaffed Pittsburgh building bureau