Vincentian's Chen is one of a kind
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Although he is only a sophomore, Vincentian Academy's No. 1 singles tennis player proved you are never too young to be the first to accomplish something great.
In his second year on the team, Chen did something no other tennis player has done: win a WPIAL tennis singles championship.
“It was tough, because our section is usually one of the toughest,” Chen said. “Josh Raymundo (from Mars) is a tough player, but he had to miss because of appendicitis.”
With arguably the toughest player out of the tournament, the pressure shifted to Chen, who took on the mantra of coach Al Skorupka.
“He always tells me to never give up and keep fighting,” Chen said.
The sophomore did just that and took the Class AA gold medal, advancing to states in the process.
“The past year, Derek trained very hard over at Oxford Athletic Club and played in a lot of tournaments,” Skorupka said. “He is tournament tough, and that translated into the WPIAL tournament.”
Skorupka said the sky is the limit for Chen, who shifts his attention to the PIAA bracket.
“It feels good to have that tennis banner in the gym, and I have to thank my teammates for that. They push me,” Chen said. “Now, I have to stay fit and mentally ready for states.”
Jerry Clark is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Car wash explosion, fire injures 2 in McDonald
- Groom cited at reception being filmed for reality TV
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- IBM’s Watson supercomputing system to be applied to PTSD
- Energy sector adjusts to global oil plummet
- Warning about cop-killer came moments too late
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Police investigate alleged institutional sexual assault at Pine youth treatment center
- Banged-up Steelers can clinch with win over Chiefs
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status