Fox Chapel doubles team wins PIAA title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Fox Chapel coach Alex Slezak spent weeks telling his doubles team of Lacey Cohen and Laurel Shymansky to be aggressive when they're in trouble in a match.
The advice proved beneficial Saturday afternoon.
The sophomores beat the North Allegheny duo of Maddy Adams and Tina Li, 6-3, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (1), in the PIAA Class AAA doubles championship match.
The doubles title was the Foxes' first since 2004 and second in program history.
“Being clutch is not hitting the shots in the moment,” Slezak said. “It's being willing to dive into pressure and hit the big shots.
“They were willing to do that today.”
Cohen and Shymansky defeated Wissahickon's Katherine Devlin and Christie Cesarini, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4, in the semifinals Saturday morning.
Daniel Paulling is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ohio woman shot to death nearly 3 days before police find body in Neshannock home
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Panthers fall to Hawaii in game they were expected to win
- Tire comes off, hits oncoming car, kills 1 on Route 28
- Fleury denied 300th win as Penguins lose to Islanders in shootout
- 7 arrested in Latrobe-area drug dealing
- Crowds pack Downtown Pittsburgh to enjoy Light Up Night festivities
- Emergency personnel battle fire at Whitehall apartment complex
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- Central Valley beats rival West Allegheny to win WPIAL Class AAA championship
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run