Fox Chapel doubles team wins PIAA title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Fox Chapel coach Alex Slezak spent weeks telling his doubles team of Lacey Cohen and Laurel Shymansky to be aggressive when they're in trouble in a match.
The advice proved beneficial Saturday afternoon.
The sophomores beat the North Allegheny duo of Maddy Adams and Tina Li, 6-3, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (1), in the PIAA Class AAA doubles championship match.
The doubles title was the Foxes' first since 2004 and second in program history.
“Being clutch is not hitting the shots in the moment,” Slezak said. “It's being willing to dive into pressure and hit the big shots.
“They were willing to do that today.”
Cohen and Shymansky defeated Wissahickon's Katherine Devlin and Christie Cesarini, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4, in the semifinals Saturday morning.
Daniel Paulling is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn State rallies past Akron behind Newbill’s 26 points
- Ferguson protesters march on Pittsburgh streets
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- Steelers notebook: Defense tasked with stopping Graham
- Mo. governor adds guardsmen as protests continue
- United Mine Workers responds to strike complaint
- Daily Courier roundup: Penn State Fayette women fall to Slippery Rock
- Household debt on the rise after 5-year decline
- Bars bulge at the seams night before Thanksgiving
- Brown family blasts prosecutor; Wilson speaks
- IUP student dies from injuries after he was pinned beneath car