Fox Chapel doubles team wins PIAA title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Fox Chapel coach Alex Slezak spent weeks telling his doubles team of Lacey Cohen and Laurel Shymansky to be aggressive when they're in trouble in a match.
The advice proved beneficial Saturday afternoon.
The sophomores beat the North Allegheny duo of Maddy Adams and Tina Li, 6-3, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (1), in the PIAA Class AAA doubles championship match.
The doubles title was the Foxes' first since 2004 and second in program history.
“Being clutch is not hitting the shots in the moment,” Slezak said. “It's being willing to dive into pressure and hit the big shots.
“They were willing to do that today.”
Cohen and Shymansky defeated Wissahickon's Katherine Devlin and Christie Cesarini, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4, in the semifinals Saturday morning.
Daniel Paulling is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Flashback Friday for Pitt
- Body found in Allegheny River in Harrison
- Pitt falls flat in finale loss to Miami
- Run game needed for balance vs. Seahawks
- Police: 4 officers injured in Colorado Springs shooting
- Man dies in ATV crash in Beaver County
- In Uganda, Pope Francis pays tribute to nation’s martyrs
- Absenteeism high on first day back after Peters Township teacher strike
- Pitt notebook: Boyd undecided about leaving early for NFL
- Suicide bomber targets crowd of Shiites in Nigeria
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension