Fox Chapel doubles team wins PIAA title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Fox Chapel coach Alex Slezak spent weeks telling his doubles team of Lacey Cohen and Laurel Shymansky to be aggressive when they're in trouble in a match.
The advice proved beneficial Saturday afternoon.
The sophomores beat the North Allegheny duo of Maddy Adams and Tina Li, 6-3, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (1), in the PIAA Class AAA doubles championship match.
The doubles title was the Foxes' first since 2004 and second in program history.
“Being clutch is not hitting the shots in the moment,” Slezak said. “It's being willing to dive into pressure and hit the big shots.
“They were willing to do that today.”
Cohen and Shymansky defeated Wissahickon's Katherine Devlin and Christie Cesarini, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4, in the semifinals Saturday morning.
Daniel Paulling is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt suspends cornerback Howard
- Body found beneath Tarentum Bridge believed to be jumper
- Steelers extend Suisham’s contract through 2018
- Steelers rookie says Sam, his former roommate, has changed
- Police target 17 in Mon Valley drug investigation
- Rossi: Buying trust is a must for Pirates
- Driver describes fireworks-spooked horse that struck SUV near fairgrounds
- 2 cars strike horse near Fayette fair
- Steelers aim to create more turnovers this year with speedier defense
- Steelers notebook: Shoulder pads get technological boost for Ravens game
- Turbine sites near properties in Fayette County threatened