Fox Chapel doubles team wins PIAA title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Fox Chapel coach Alex Slezak spent weeks telling his doubles team of Lacey Cohen and Laurel Shymansky to be aggressive when they're in trouble in a match.
The advice proved beneficial Saturday afternoon.
The sophomores beat the North Allegheny duo of Maddy Adams and Tina Li, 6-3, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (1), in the PIAA Class AAA doubles championship match.
The doubles title was the Foxes' first since 2004 and second in program history.
“Being clutch is not hitting the shots in the moment,” Slezak said. “It's being willing to dive into pressure and hit the big shots.
“They were willing to do that today.”
Cohen and Shymansky defeated Wissahickon's Katherine Devlin and Christie Cesarini, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4, in the semifinals Saturday morning.
Daniel Paulling is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt football notebook: Athletic department seeking fans’ input
- Steelers notebook: Linebackers on the spot against Saints offense
- Penguins notebook: Johnston calls Quinn ‘phenomenal’ coach, person
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- PennDOT work to close lanes on Parkways
- Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson shooting
- Liberty Bridge inspections to close lanes
- Pa. bear hunters off to good start
- Stocks stake claim in record territory
- Hockey loses pair of legendary figures in Quinn, Tikhonov
- NFL notebook: Chiefs safety Berry may have lymphoma