Fox Chapel doubles team wins PIAA title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Fox Chapel coach Alex Slezak spent weeks telling his doubles team of Lacey Cohen and Laurel Shymansky to be aggressive when they're in trouble in a match.
The advice proved beneficial Saturday afternoon.
The sophomores beat the North Allegheny duo of Maddy Adams and Tina Li, 6-3, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (1), in the PIAA Class AAA doubles championship match.
The doubles title was the Foxes' first since 2004 and second in program history.
“Being clutch is not hitting the shots in the moment,” Slezak said. “It's being willing to dive into pressure and hit the big shots.
“They were willing to do that today.”
Cohen and Shymansky defeated Wissahickon's Katherine Devlin and Christie Cesarini, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4, in the semifinals Saturday morning.
Daniel Paulling is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- Fleury’s relay team struggles in NHL skills competition
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- One killed in Washington Township crash
- Water trucked into fight remote Findlay warehouse fire
- NFL notebook: Seahawks warned 15-yard penalty for Lynch obscene gesture
- Pitt, Louisville square off after unusually long layoffs
- State’s no-bid contracts with private law firms prompt scrutiny
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Former athletes open businesses