Fox Chapel duo brings home state gold medals in tennis
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Fox Chapel's doubles duo of Laurel Shymansky and Lacey Cohen made it a clean sweep.
Two weeks after claiming the WPIAL Class AAA doubles championship in girls tennis, they traveled to Hershey last week and brought home the PIAA Class AAA title.
The talented sophomores began play Friday with a first-round win over Molly Blair and Amirah Salim-Bey of Abington, 6-1 and 6-0. In the quarterfinals, they beat Ali and Sammi Snider of Exeter, 6-1 and 6-1.
The semifinals and finals were Saturday, and Shymansky and Cohen had to go three sets (6-1, 1-6, 6-4) to beat Katherine Devlin and Christie Cesarini of Wissahickon.
That set up a rematch of the WPIAL finals against Maddy Adams and Tina Li of North Allegheny.
The results were the same but not without some tense moments.
Shymansky and Cohen won the first set 6-3 but lost the second 6-7 (7-3). The final set was also a nail-biter as the FC pair held on for a 7-1 win in the tiebreaker to claim the championship.
“The girls were well prepared,” FC coach Alex Slezak said. “They knew they would have to be aggressive, handle the pressure and hit the big shots, and they did that throughout the tournament.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Century III Mall’s Sears on track to close Dec. 7
- Food bank CEO hopeful of tax break for donors
- Braddock agency is a lifeline for commuters
- McKeesport’s Davis is vice chair of county Dem party
- Fire marshal investigating the cause of Wilmerding house fires
- Parade to start off Winterfest in Glassport
- Thousands depend on Mon Valley area red kettle drive
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Black Friday trends, tactics change, but Americans still love bargains
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman