Mt. Lebanon tops Plum in first round of WPIAL girls volleyball playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum varsity girls volleyball team traveled to Mt. Lebanon on Wednesday for a WPIAL Class AAA first-round matchup.
The Mustangs, the 13th seed, were gunning for an upset, but the fourth-seeded Blue Devils had other ideas and eliminated Plum in straight sets, 25-14, 25-18 and 25-22.
Plum, the third-place team from Section 4, finished its season at 10-5 overall. Mt. Lebanon moves on to the quarterfinals on Tuesday when it will face No. 5 Pine-Richland, a 3-2 victory over Norwin in the first round Wednesday.
The Mustangs suffered an eighth consecutive first-round playoff loss. Despite the setback, head coach Kory Flaherty said he was proud of his players' effort against a strong opponent.
“I told the girls after the match that Mt. Lebanon is an extremely talented team,” he said. “I like them going pretty far in the tournament. They are a state-caliber team. We didn't quit after a tough first game.”
The game marked the varsity finale for seniors Alyssa Samarco, Maria Daugherty, Denise Polishen, Joanna Lees, Caitlyn McDade, Michelle Hanlon and Kendra Anderson.
The group never missed the playoffs and will graduate with the 2011 section championship under its belt.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Roethlisberger staging big comeback
- Report blames pilot for 2011 Hawaii crash that killed Pittsburgh couple
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Young Hotel residents moved to temporary shelter in Pitcairn
- Stock market investors going full speed ahead
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- $500,000 OK’d as partial settlement in lawsuit from 2012 Pittsburgh flash flood
- Wider Israeli attack threatened ; truce fails
- Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia sued by brother over loan
- Megan’s Law offender in Greensburg arrested when girl, 13, found hiding in shower