WPIAL Class AAA girls volleyball championship preview
TribLIVE Sports Videos
WPIAL volleyball championship
CLASS AAA: No. 3 Fox Chapel vs. No. 4 Mt. Lebanon
6:30 p.m. Saturday, Chartiers Valley High School
Serves and volleys: Fox Chapel (18-3) quietly has been one of the hottest teams in the state, winning 17 consecutive matches, including a pair of 3-2 victories over power North Allegheny, the latter in the WPIAL semifinals. The streak also includes a win over defending champion Seneca Valley. The Foxes have one volleyball title — on the boys side — so the girls are looking to make history. The Foxes, who have secured a spot in the PIAA playoffs, have risen to No. 9 in the Pennsylvania Volleyball Coaches Association Class AAA rankings. Only one Alle-Kiski Valley girls team has won a title (Freeport in 2010). Left-handed, 6-foot, right-side hitter Riley Hermann has been the Foxes' top front-line player. She posted 17 kills in the semis. ... Mt. Lebanon, which knocked off top-seeded Oakland Catholic in the semifinals, has five WPIAL titles in girls volleyball, the last in 2009. The Blue Devils are led by 6-1 senior outside hitter Caroline Grattan, a Temple recruit. Senior setter Kate Borelli also has been solid after a move to the right side after staring the year at libero.
— Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ford City’s teamwork, emotion take center stage in semifinal win over Freeport
- GCC volleyball cruises to semifinal victory to earn rematch with No. 1 Bishop Canevin
- TJ volleyball team gets back to WPIAL finals for 1st time since 2001
- High school roundup: Baldwin earns spot in WPIAL volleyball finals
- Freeport girls rally past Montour to reach WPIAL volleyball semifinals
- Alle-Kiski Valley roundup: Seton-La Salle volleyball edges Knoch
- West Shamokin girls volleyball team falls short in playoffs