WPIAL Class AAA girls volleyball championship preview
TribLIVE Sports Videos
WPIAL volleyball championship
CLASS AAA: No. 3 Fox Chapel vs. No. 4 Mt. Lebanon
6:30 p.m. Saturday, Chartiers Valley High School
Serves and volleys: Fox Chapel (18-3) quietly has been one of the hottest teams in the state, winning 17 consecutive matches, including a pair of 3-2 victories over power North Allegheny, the latter in the WPIAL semifinals. The streak also includes a win over defending champion Seneca Valley. The Foxes have one volleyball title — on the boys side — so the girls are looking to make history. The Foxes, who have secured a spot in the PIAA playoffs, have risen to No. 9 in the Pennsylvania Volleyball Coaches Association Class AAA rankings. Only one Alle-Kiski Valley girls team has won a title (Freeport in 2010). Left-handed, 6-foot, right-side hitter Riley Hermann has been the Foxes' top front-line player. She posted 17 kills in the semis. ... Mt. Lebanon, which knocked off top-seeded Oakland Catholic in the semifinals, has five WPIAL titles in girls volleyball, the last in 2009. The Blue Devils are led by 6-1 senior outside hitter Caroline Grattan, a Temple recruit. Senior setter Kate Borelli also has been solid after a move to the right side after staring the year at libero.
— Bill Beckner Jr.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freeport once again team to beat in WPIAL Class AA volleyball
- Pawlak returns to lead defending WPIAL volleyball champion Freeport
- NA, Freeport, Bishop Canevin volleyball teams to be challenged
- Franklin Regional volleyball sets higher goals for 2014
- Penn-Trafford volleyball sets sights high
- Height, skill trademarks for Plum girls volleyball squad in 2014