Local roundup: Fox Chapel volleyball team loses in PIAA play
TribLIVE Sports Videos
One of the most successful seasons in Fox Chapel girls volleyball history came to a close Tuesday night, as the Foxes dropped a 3-2 decision to District 6 champion State College in the first round of the PIAA Class AAA playoffs at Central Cambria High School.
The WPIAL runner-up Foxes, making their first appearance in the state playoffs, ended the season 18-5.
Fox Chapel led, 2-1, before losing the final two games.
“Overall, I think it was a rewarding season; We have never been to states before and, if anything, we can chalk it up as a learning experience,” Fox Chapel coach Sara D'Angelo said. “I think the girls, even though they are upset about the loss, are happy about what they accomplished this season.”
Kittanning 5, Mars 2 — Hunter Grafton's hat trick and two assists led the way for Kittanning in a victory over Mars in a Class A nonsection match at BladeRunners in Warrendale.
Christian Miller chipped in two goals, including the game-winner at 3:09 of the second period for the Wildcats (2-0).
Goaltender Cameron Langham stopped 29 of 32 shots and was dominant for most of the second and third periods.
Craig Mazzotta contributed a goal and an assist for Mars (2-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Wash High star McKenzie charged by police, suspended by Virginia Tech
- Steeler lineman Adams sues men he claims attacked, stabbed him
- Homewood shooting victim identified
- Penguins need trade-deadline acquisitions to bring toughness
- 11 Ligonier Township residents rescued by boat from floodwaters
- Court rules Steelers must pay Okobi workers comp
- Elizabeth Township, McKeesport impacted by ice jam on Youghiogheny River
- Sestak kicks off U.S. Senate campaign — with a couple missteps
- Police: Suspect in 1970 cold case homicide of 17-year-old dies days before charges filed
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- House resolution urges Wolf to reverse death penalty moratorium