Experienced Fox Chapel boys volleyball team begins season with 5-1 record
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Despite playing in arguably the toughest section in WPIAL Class AAA, Fox Chapel High School boys volleyball coach Phil O'Keeffe and his squad have jumped out to a 5-1 start in Section 2-AAA.
On Thursday, the Foxes beat Butler (3-2) by a score of 3-1 (28-26, 23-25, 25-15, 25-20). Josh Tublin had 16 kills and Jaysen Zaleski added 10 while Max DePellegrini had 36 assists.
The Foxes hosted a tournament on Saturday and finished in second place behind Peters Township.
In the quarterfinals, the Foxes beat Deer Lakes by 25-21 before losing to Penn-Trafford in the semifinals by a 25-23 score.
Michael Eisner and Tublin were selected to the all-tournament team.
The Foxes entered the season with high hopes as all of their starters returned.
The Foxes will also have depth.
Tublin, a senior and second-team All-WPIAL selection last year as an outside hitter, has returned to the libero position while senior Griffen Burke and sophomore DePellegrini have performed well at the setter position.
The Foxes have already posted an impressive win over North Allegheny.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after experiencing elbow discomfort
- On remote Japanese island, cats outnumber humans
- Frazer police receive state funding for more undercover patrols at Mills
- Pittsburgh’s Downtown tops ranking of small to midsized cities
- Rangers up ante in Metropolitan Division with trade acquisitions
- Zoning update raises fears in Ligonier Township
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart