Experienced Fox Chapel boys volleyball team begins season with 5-1 record
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Despite playing in arguably the toughest section in WPIAL Class AAA, Fox Chapel High School boys volleyball coach Phil O'Keeffe and his squad have jumped out to a 5-1 start in Section 2-AAA.
On Thursday, the Foxes beat Butler (3-2) by a score of 3-1 (28-26, 23-25, 25-15, 25-20). Josh Tublin had 16 kills and Jaysen Zaleski added 10 while Max DePellegrini had 36 assists.
The Foxes hosted a tournament on Saturday and finished in second place behind Peters Township.
In the quarterfinals, the Foxes beat Deer Lakes by 25-21 before losing to Penn-Trafford in the semifinals by a 25-23 score.
Michael Eisner and Tublin were selected to the all-tournament team.
The Foxes entered the season with high hopes as all of their starters returned.
The Foxes will also have depth.
Tublin, a senior and second-team All-WPIAL selection last year as an outside hitter, has returned to the libero position while senior Griffen Burke and sophomore DePellegrini have performed well at the setter position.
The Foxes have already posted an impressive win over North Allegheny.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Baby girl dies when run over by pickup truck in Indiana County
- Heyl: Gravy train comes to an abrupt halt for Allegheny judges’ relatives
- Amazon.com distribution center planned for Pittsburgh’s West End
- Well-traveled Clemons trying to find home with Carolina Panthers
- Aliquippa father is charged by Beaver County DA in girls’ dresser death
- New workout craze Piloxing combines mix of disciplines
- Israel hits 30 Gaza homes, kills senior militant