Experienced Fox Chapel boys volleyball team begins season with 5-1 record
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Despite playing in arguably the toughest section in WPIAL Class AAA, Fox Chapel High School boys volleyball coach Phil O'Keeffe and his squad have jumped out to a 5-1 start in Section 2-AAA.
On Thursday, the Foxes beat Butler (3-2) by a score of 3-1 (28-26, 23-25, 25-15, 25-20). Josh Tublin had 16 kills and Jaysen Zaleski added 10 while Max DePellegrini had 36 assists.
The Foxes hosted a tournament on Saturday and finished in second place behind Peters Township.
In the quarterfinals, the Foxes beat Deer Lakes by 25-21 before losing to Penn-Trafford in the semifinals by a 25-23 score.
Michael Eisner and Tublin were selected to the all-tournament team.
The Foxes entered the season with high hopes as all of their starters returned.
The Foxes will also have depth.
Tublin, a senior and second-team All-WPIAL selection last year as an outside hitter, has returned to the libero position while senior Griffen Burke and sophomore DePellegrini have performed well at the setter position.
The Foxes have already posted an impressive win over North Allegheny.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- South Hills volleyball squads aim for second-half surge
- Baseball first love for Baldwin’s veteran volleyball coach
- Franklin Regional girls volleyball pushing for strong finish
- Gateway volleyball hopes to stay in hunt for WPIAL playoffs
- Undersized Armstrong girls volleyball thriving in 1st Class AAA season
- Quaker Valley volleyball looks ahead to season’s 2nd half
- Plum girls volleyball team has little room for error in push for playoffs
- Seneca Valley volleyball ready for 2nd half