Fox Chapel volleyball player Tublin headed to Ohio State
TribLIVE Sports Videos
As a 6-foot volleyball player, Fox Chapel's Josh Tublin never received the kind of college interest that his 6-8 older brother, Dan, attained as a high school standout who ended up at Stanford.
But Tublin, a senior with superb defensive skills, still found a place for himself at the Division I level.
Tublin will continue his volleyball career as a libero at Ohio State. He will be a non-scholarship player — a common arrangement for liberos, he said.
“Libero is super fun because you control two aspects of the game: You control the entire back row for passing, and you're kind of getting on peoples' cases about defense,” Tublin said. “I think it's great when you get a perfect pass, and the setter can do whatever he wants with it, and he frees up a dude, who bangs it down the line. You're just like, ‘All right, that all stemmed from my pass.' ”
A season ago, Tublin earned All-WPIAL second-team honors as an outside hitter, a position in which he had little previous experience. He started at libero as a sophomore and freshman.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Rutherford hits jackpot with Kessel
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Penguins notebook: Rutherford proves savvy in deal
- Penguins get their man in making trade with Toronto for Kessel
- Steelers submit application to play host to Super Bowl in 2023
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Donora-Webster bridge plunges into Mon River after 107 years
- Second Blair County friar commits suicide in province under sex abuse investigation
- Ligonier Township officer’s widow to file civil suit
- FBI searching for Homestead man indicted for sex trafficking in children