Fox Chapel volleyball player Tublin headed to Ohio State
TribLIVE Sports Videos
As a 6-foot volleyball player, Fox Chapel's Josh Tublin never received the kind of college interest that his 6-8 older brother, Dan, attained as a high school standout who ended up at Stanford.
But Tublin, a senior with superb defensive skills, still found a place for himself at the Division I level.
Tublin will continue his volleyball career as a libero at Ohio State. He will be a non-scholarship player — a common arrangement for liberos, he said.
“Libero is super fun because you control two aspects of the game: You control the entire back row for passing, and you're kind of getting on peoples' cases about defense,” Tublin said. “I think it's great when you get a perfect pass, and the setter can do whatever he wants with it, and he frees up a dude, who bangs it down the line. You're just like, ‘All right, that all stemmed from my pass.' ”
A season ago, Tublin earned All-WPIAL second-team honors as an outside hitter, a position in which he had little previous experience. He started at libero as a sophomore and freshman.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- DVD reviews: ‘The Giver,’ ‘The Expendables 3’ and ‘What If’
- Firefighters extinguish fire that damages 6 cabs at Yellow Cab Co.
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Boyce Park to open ski season Friday
- PIT wants non-passengers allowed past security to shop
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right
- Canevin softball player Rittelmann chooses Wheeling Jesuit
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman
- Prison phone cost to drop 70% in Pa.
- North Huntingdon restaurant owners want to ‘give you that little bit above and beyond’
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run