Fox Chapel volleyball player Tublin headed to Ohio State
TribLIVE Sports Videos
As a 6-foot volleyball player, Fox Chapel's Josh Tublin never received the kind of college interest that his 6-8 older brother, Dan, attained as a high school standout who ended up at Stanford.
But Tublin, a senior with superb defensive skills, still found a place for himself at the Division I level.
Tublin will continue his volleyball career as a libero at Ohio State. He will be a non-scholarship player — a common arrangement for liberos, he said.
“Libero is super fun because you control two aspects of the game: You control the entire back row for passing, and you're kind of getting on peoples' cases about defense,” Tublin said. “I think it's great when you get a perfect pass, and the setter can do whatever he wants with it, and he frees up a dude, who bangs it down the line. You're just like, ‘All right, that all stemmed from my pass.' ”
A season ago, Tublin earned All-WPIAL second-team honors as an outside hitter, a position in which he had little previous experience. He started at libero as a sophomore and freshman.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Kensington-Arnold teachers accept 3-year contract
- Video posted online captures Wilkinsburg child’s injuries
- Detectives looking into pair of shootings in Duquesne
- Police chase ends with shooting in Bell Township; suspect wounded
- New Kensington native competes for title of U.S. Army Europe’s best NCO
- Gilpin settles lawsuit with suspended police officers
- West Deer awaits ruling from Pennsylvania Ethics Commission
- Rayburn man, 74, dies in Manor Township crash
- Classical music enthusiasts have a variety of choices
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Steelers remain confident in ground game