Fox Chapel volleyball player Tublin headed to Ohio State
TribLIVE Sports Videos
As a 6-foot volleyball player, Fox Chapel's Josh Tublin never received the kind of college interest that his 6-8 older brother, Dan, attained as a high school standout who ended up at Stanford.
But Tublin, a senior with superb defensive skills, still found a place for himself at the Division I level.
Tublin will continue his volleyball career as a libero at Ohio State. He will be a non-scholarship player — a common arrangement for liberos, he said.
“Libero is super fun because you control two aspects of the game: You control the entire back row for passing, and you're kind of getting on peoples' cases about defense,” Tublin said. “I think it's great when you get a perfect pass, and the setter can do whatever he wants with it, and he frees up a dude, who bangs it down the line. You're just like, ‘All right, that all stemmed from my pass.' ”
A season ago, Tublin earned All-WPIAL second-team honors as an outside hitter, a position in which he had little previous experience. He started at libero as a sophomore and freshman.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Protesters demonstrate against Mt. Lebanon deer culling program
- Tyler’s 20th, ‘A Spool of Blue Thread,’ is a miracle of sorts
- Gallagher formally becomes Pitt chancellor
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Dark satire ‘Welcome to Braggsville’ targets race, gender
- Blackhawk girls take down South Fayette to repeat as WPIAL Class AAA champs
- Rostraver police investigating alleged sexual misconduct between Ringgold HS employee, student
- Huge, ancient quasar could alter theories on black holes
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Vincentian girls dominate rival North Catholic for 4th straight WPIAL Class A title
- Greensburg pair jailed in convenience store robbery