Fox Chapel volleyball player Tublin headed to Ohio State
TribLIVE Sports Videos
As a 6-foot volleyball player, Fox Chapel's Josh Tublin never received the kind of college interest that his 6-8 older brother, Dan, attained as a high school standout who ended up at Stanford.
But Tublin, a senior with superb defensive skills, still found a place for himself at the Division I level.
Tublin will continue his volleyball career as a libero at Ohio State. He will be a non-scholarship player — a common arrangement for liberos, he said.
“Libero is super fun because you control two aspects of the game: You control the entire back row for passing, and you're kind of getting on peoples' cases about defense,” Tublin said. “I think it's great when you get a perfect pass, and the setter can do whatever he wants with it, and he frees up a dude, who bangs it down the line. You're just like, ‘All right, that all stemmed from my pass.' ”
A season ago, Tublin earned All-WPIAL second-team honors as an outside hitter, a position in which he had little previous experience. He started at libero as a sophomore and freshman.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freezing rain hits Western Pennsylvania, accidents reported
- Iron ore price decline hurts U.S. Steel’s cost advantage over rivals
- 7 arrested in Latrobe-area drug dealing
- Panthers fall to Hawaii in game they were expected to win
- Tire comes off, hits oncoming car, kills 1 on Route 28
- Woodbridge Preschool upgrades classrooms with new technology
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Crowds pack Downtown Pittsburgh to enjoy Light Up Night festivities
- West Kittanning health center could reopen after Pa. Supreme Court ruling
- Pennsylvania Disciplinary Board suspends Downtown bankruptcy lawyer
- Fleury denied 300th win as Penguins lose to Islanders in shootout