Seton-La Salle girls unbeaten in section
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Seton-La Salle girls' varsity volleyball team opened the week with a sparkling 7-0 overall record.
The Lady Rebels had churned out victories against Brownsville, Central Valley, South Fayette, Steel Valley, East Allegheny, Beaver and South Park.
“Things are going well,” Kevin Hummert, Seton-La Salle's second-year head coach, said. “We are playing well.”
In action this week, the Lady Rebels racked up two more victories with shutout decisions against Avonworth and Keystone Oaks.
The Seton-La Salle team is anchored by a strong senior class in middle hitter Brianne Colligan, outside hitters Tia and Toni Torchia, defensive specialist/setter Shelby Williams, and defensive specialists/liberos Lindsey Farley and Juliana Ross.
The three juniors on the squad are middle hitters Morgan Henderson and Laura Nath, who also is a right-side hitter; and defensive specialist/setter Sommer Walkiewicz.
Top sophomore prospects in the program include Nicole Colligan, a middle hitter, and Michelle Sanders, a setter.
The Lady Rebels are 5-0 in Section 6-AA play, winning by 3-0 scores against South Fayette, Steel Valley, East Allegheny and Keystone Oaks, along with 3-2 win at home versus South Park.
Seton-La Salle's girls' junior varsity squad also was undefeated through last week's action.
There are five sophomores and five freshmen on the junior varsity roster.
Sophomore athletes on the team include Colligan, at middle hitter; Sanders, at the setter position; Jenna Vojtecky, at outside hitter; libero Jillian Gisoni; and Michaela Mahoney, a defensive specialist.
The freshman team members consist of middle hitter Megan Manion, setter Emily Gruendl, outside hitters Mia Marzina and Nicole Reyes, and defensive specialist Bailey Canavan.
The Seton-La Salle netters are scheduled to visit Freeport for a nonsection match tonight, Thursday.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-388-5820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers claim former Cowboys cornerback Webb
- Valley edges emotional Burrell team on OT field goal
- Healthy PA expands number of recipients but cuts benefits
- Secret judicial ruling blocks release of sexually explicit emails
- Next hurdle for health care likely tax season
- Dairy Queen victim of malware attack
- Fayette DA’s office will remain on death penalty case
- Google tests Project Wing drone delivery
- WWII hero stood up for fellow soldiers
- Harrison shines again as Pirates clip Reds, 2-1
- Fabregas: UPMC smoking ban right maneuver