HS notes: Bishop Canevin's Walters reaches milestone victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Bishop Canevin girls volleyball team has had its share of milestone accomplishments over the years.
The Crusaders were WPIAL Class A finalists in 2010 and ‘12 and made the semifinals in 2011. They also won the past three Section 6-A titles.
Thursday, their leader — coach Kevin Walters — reaped the benefit of years of talented rosters by reaching the 200-career victory plateau with a 3-0 win over Chartiers-Houston.
“It feels good,” he said afterward. “We (as coaches) get credit for winning, but it comes down to the girls and the work they are wiling to put in. (Milestones are) something we all look forward to as coaches.”
Walters and the Crusaders could be on their way to another title game appearance. They enter this week atop Section 6-A with a 10-0 record.
“I have a lot of good athletes that come in and want to work hard and produce,” said Walters, now in his seventh year at Bishop Canevin after stints at North Catholic (five years) and Mars (one year). “They want to get to the playoffs and do the things we set our sights on. “I've been lucky enough to have girls who want to win and work hard. They understand what it takes to be a winner.”
Bishop Canevin will be back in action Tuesday at Fort Cherry (6-4).
• In the latest rankings by the Pennsylvania Volleyball Coaches Association, North Allegheny (fifth) and Pine-Richland (eighth) were ranked in Class AAA, while Freeport (eighth) and Indiana (ninth) were recognized in Class AA and Bishop Canevin (sixth) and West Shamokin (seventh) were in Class A.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freeport once again team to beat in WPIAL Class AA volleyball
- Pawlak returns to lead defending WPIAL volleyball champion Freeport
- NA, Freeport, Bishop Canevin volleyball teams to be challenged
- Franklin Regional volleyball sets higher goals for 2014
- 2013 success pushes Norwin girls volleyball team