HS notes: Defending volleyball champions headed back to playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Champs headed back to playoffs
With the final week of regular-season play set to begin, the WPIAL volleyball playoff field is nearly set.
Eleven of last year's 12 semifinalists have clinched postseason berths, including defending champions Mt. Lebanon (AAA), Mars (AA) and Greensburg C.C. (A).
The only semifinalist that has been eliminated is Fox Chapel (4-7).
Those that have clinched in Class AAA include Penn-Trafford (10-1), Norwin (9-1) and Hempfield (7-3) in Section 1; Canon-McMillan (10-0) and Upper St. Clair (8-3) in Section 2; North Allegheny (10-0) and Pine-Richland (9-1) in Section 3; Shaler (9-0), Oakland Catholic (9-1) and Plum (7-4) in Section 4; and Bethel Park (10-0) and Mt. Lebanon (9-2) in Section 5.
Class AA playoff teams are Beaver (8-1), Hopewell (8-1) and Blackhawk (8-2) in Section 1; Central Valley (9-0), Quaker Valley (7-2) and Ambridge (6-3) in Section 2; Indiana (9-0), Kittanning (7-2) and Derry (5-4) in Section 3; Freeport (9-1), Knoch (9-1) and Mars (7-3) in Section 4; Uniontown (9-0) and Brownsville (6-3) in Section 5; Seton-La Salle (9-0), South Park (7-2) and South Fayette (6-3) in Section 6; and Thomas Jefferson (10-0) and Elizabeth Forward (8-2) in Section 7.
The Class A playoff teams include Greensburg Central Catholic (9-1) and West Shamokin (9-1) in Section 1; Serra Catholic (11-0) in Section 2; Shenango (11-0) and Laurel (7-3) in Section 3; OLSH (10-0), Avonworth (7-3) and South Side Beaver (7-3) in Section 4; Frazier (10-0) in Section 5; and Bishop Canevin (12-0), Carlynton (10-2) and Bentworth (9-3) in Section 6.
The playoffs begin next week.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Top-seeded Freeport slips past Kittanning
- Alle-Kiski Valley roundup: Seton-La Salle volleyball edges Knoch
- Trib Cup: Bentworth volleyball striving for perfection again
- Bishop Canevin volleyball team rallies around ailing coach
- Baldwin to host WPIAL girls volleyball finals
- Trib Cup: Montour volleyball motivated by championship goals
- Freeport volleyball team’s other foe is complacency
- Playoff experience pays off for Kittanning in preliminary round win over Elizabeth Forward
- Ford City volleyball team reaches quarterfinals
- West Shamokin girls volleyball team falls short in playoffs