HS notes: Defending volleyball champions headed back to playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Champs headed back to playoffs
With the final week of regular-season play set to begin, the WPIAL volleyball playoff field is nearly set.
Eleven of last year's 12 semifinalists have clinched postseason berths, including defending champions Mt. Lebanon (AAA), Mars (AA) and Greensburg C.C. (A).
The only semifinalist that has been eliminated is Fox Chapel (4-7).
Those that have clinched in Class AAA include Penn-Trafford (10-1), Norwin (9-1) and Hempfield (7-3) in Section 1; Canon-McMillan (10-0) and Upper St. Clair (8-3) in Section 2; North Allegheny (10-0) and Pine-Richland (9-1) in Section 3; Shaler (9-0), Oakland Catholic (9-1) and Plum (7-4) in Section 4; and Bethel Park (10-0) and Mt. Lebanon (9-2) in Section 5.
Class AA playoff teams are Beaver (8-1), Hopewell (8-1) and Blackhawk (8-2) in Section 1; Central Valley (9-0), Quaker Valley (7-2) and Ambridge (6-3) in Section 2; Indiana (9-0), Kittanning (7-2) and Derry (5-4) in Section 3; Freeport (9-1), Knoch (9-1) and Mars (7-3) in Section 4; Uniontown (9-0) and Brownsville (6-3) in Section 5; Seton-La Salle (9-0), South Park (7-2) and South Fayette (6-3) in Section 6; and Thomas Jefferson (10-0) and Elizabeth Forward (8-2) in Section 7.
The Class A playoff teams include Greensburg Central Catholic (9-1) and West Shamokin (9-1) in Section 1; Serra Catholic (11-0) in Section 2; Shenango (11-0) and Laurel (7-3) in Section 3; OLSH (10-0), Avonworth (7-3) and South Side Beaver (7-3) in Section 4; Frazier (10-0) in Section 5; and Bishop Canevin (12-0), Carlynton (10-2) and Bentworth (9-3) in Section 6.
The playoffs begin next week.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Warning about cop-killer came moments too late
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Steelers notebook: Bell says he’s prepared to test Chiefs defense
- South Fayette football team distributes Steelers tickets to Carlynton, Wilkinsburg
- Pitt survives Oakland’s upset bid with overtime victory