HS notes: Defending volleyball champions headed back to playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Champs headed back to playoffs
With the final week of regular-season play set to begin, the WPIAL volleyball playoff field is nearly set.
Eleven of last year's 12 semifinalists have clinched postseason berths, including defending champions Mt. Lebanon (AAA), Mars (AA) and Greensburg C.C. (A).
The only semifinalist that has been eliminated is Fox Chapel (4-7).
Those that have clinched in Class AAA include Penn-Trafford (10-1), Norwin (9-1) and Hempfield (7-3) in Section 1; Canon-McMillan (10-0) and Upper St. Clair (8-3) in Section 2; North Allegheny (10-0) and Pine-Richland (9-1) in Section 3; Shaler (9-0), Oakland Catholic (9-1) and Plum (7-4) in Section 4; and Bethel Park (10-0) and Mt. Lebanon (9-2) in Section 5.
Class AA playoff teams are Beaver (8-1), Hopewell (8-1) and Blackhawk (8-2) in Section 1; Central Valley (9-0), Quaker Valley (7-2) and Ambridge (6-3) in Section 2; Indiana (9-0), Kittanning (7-2) and Derry (5-4) in Section 3; Freeport (9-1), Knoch (9-1) and Mars (7-3) in Section 4; Uniontown (9-0) and Brownsville (6-3) in Section 5; Seton-La Salle (9-0), South Park (7-2) and South Fayette (6-3) in Section 6; and Thomas Jefferson (10-0) and Elizabeth Forward (8-2) in Section 7.
The Class A playoff teams include Greensburg Central Catholic (9-1) and West Shamokin (9-1) in Section 1; Serra Catholic (11-0) in Section 2; Shenango (11-0) and Laurel (7-3) in Section 3; OLSH (10-0), Avonworth (7-3) and South Side Beaver (7-3) in Section 4; Frazier (10-0) in Section 5; and Bishop Canevin (12-0), Carlynton (10-2) and Bentworth (9-3) in Section 6.
The playoffs begin next week.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Route 19 accident in Mt. Lebanon injures five people
- Newkirk replaces Jones in Pitt’s starting lineup vs. Notre Dame
- UPMC researcher who died of cyanide poisoning committed suicide
- HOF finalist Bettis ‘behind everything’ in 2005 Super Bowl run
- New CEO eager to revitalize Pittsburgh International Airport
- Rooney says Pittsburgh is ‘good place’ for next northern Super Bowl
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Dungy, Greene represent more Steelers ties in hall of fame voting
- Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch
- Sting highlights demand for Pappy Van Winkle bourbon
- Nation sick of Obama blunders, Perry tells state Republicans