HS notes: Defending volleyball champions headed back to playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Champs headed back to playoffs
With the final week of regular-season play set to begin, the WPIAL volleyball playoff field is nearly set.
Eleven of last year's 12 semifinalists have clinched postseason berths, including defending champions Mt. Lebanon (AAA), Mars (AA) and Greensburg C.C. (A).
The only semifinalist that has been eliminated is Fox Chapel (4-7).
Those that have clinched in Class AAA include Penn-Trafford (10-1), Norwin (9-1) and Hempfield (7-3) in Section 1; Canon-McMillan (10-0) and Upper St. Clair (8-3) in Section 2; North Allegheny (10-0) and Pine-Richland (9-1) in Section 3; Shaler (9-0), Oakland Catholic (9-1) and Plum (7-4) in Section 4; and Bethel Park (10-0) and Mt. Lebanon (9-2) in Section 5.
Class AA playoff teams are Beaver (8-1), Hopewell (8-1) and Blackhawk (8-2) in Section 1; Central Valley (9-0), Quaker Valley (7-2) and Ambridge (6-3) in Section 2; Indiana (9-0), Kittanning (7-2) and Derry (5-4) in Section 3; Freeport (9-1), Knoch (9-1) and Mars (7-3) in Section 4; Uniontown (9-0) and Brownsville (6-3) in Section 5; Seton-La Salle (9-0), South Park (7-2) and South Fayette (6-3) in Section 6; and Thomas Jefferson (10-0) and Elizabeth Forward (8-2) in Section 7.
The Class A playoff teams include Greensburg Central Catholic (9-1) and West Shamokin (9-1) in Section 1; Serra Catholic (11-0) in Section 2; Shenango (11-0) and Laurel (7-3) in Section 3; OLSH (10-0), Avonworth (7-3) and South Side Beaver (7-3) in Section 4; Frazier (10-0) in Section 5; and Bishop Canevin (12-0), Carlynton (10-2) and Bentworth (9-3) in Section 6.
The playoffs begin next week.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates expect high prices in trade market
- Steelers hoping that youth movement breathes life into team
- Peduto says city dropped UPMC lawsuit to help nonprofit payment talks
- Unseasonably cold temperature sets Western Pa. record
- Multimillion-dollar renovations to remake 1960s Pittsburgh apartments
- McCandless OKs land development plan for potential Wal-Mart
- Police: Westmoreland women stole thousands to pay for dog show hobby
- Steelers notebook: Team hasn’t called on Keisel, Harrison yet
- 2 killed in East Huntingdon crash
- Inside the ropes: Shazier shows off speed
- Pirates’ Worley tosses 4-hit shutout vs. Giants