Fox Chapel volleyball team ends rebuilding year with a victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Fox Chapel volleyball team concluded its season with a 3-0 win over Upper St. Clair last week.
It was the final match for four FC seniors — Hannah Zonker, Megan Holingsworth, Michaela Patsko and Betsy Slagle.
Holingsworth, Patsko and Slagle were team captains and four-year letterwinners. Zonker was a two-year letterwinner.
The Foxes finished 7-10 overall and 4-8 in the section.
“We have a very challenging section with some of the best teams in the western side of the state,” Fox Chapel coach Sara Kirsch said. “After our WPIAL runner-up performance last year, we knew this would be a rebuilding year, and it was. Some of our younger players stepped into important roles on the team.”
The coach said Ana Spangenberg, a sophomore setter, was one such player.
Spangenberg was the teams leader in kills and assists in many games.
“Kayla Slovenec, another sophomore, also took on a setting role for the team,” Kirsch said.
Leah Eckman, a junior, and Murphy Patterson, a sophomore, stepped into middle-hitter spots.
“Katie Costanza was a defensive specialist and another sophomore playing an important role,” Kirsch said.
“Often during the season, we had four sophomores on the court at any given time.”
The season, said Kirsch, provided the younger players a lot of experience and sense for the level of play expected to compete in the section.
“We're looking forward to next season,” Kirsch said.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Pirates sickened by pic of ‘Jihadi John’ wearing Bucs ball cap
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- At Pitt, a chance to make early impression under Narduzzi
- 3 charged with selling heroin that killed Lower Burrell woman
- Improved play against zone keys Pitt’s turnaround
- Gorman: A victory for small-town teams
- Indiana boys beat Beaver Falls for 1st WPIAL basketball title
- Body found in rubble after Shaler house fire
- Sale of former SCI Greensburg prison to advance despite lawmakers’ objections