Fox Chapel volleyball team ends rebuilding year with a victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Fox Chapel volleyball team concluded its season with a 3-0 win over Upper St. Clair last week.
It was the final match for four FC seniors — Hannah Zonker, Megan Holingsworth, Michaela Patsko and Betsy Slagle.
Holingsworth, Patsko and Slagle were team captains and four-year letterwinners. Zonker was a two-year letterwinner.
The Foxes finished 7-10 overall and 4-8 in the section.
“We have a very challenging section with some of the best teams in the western side of the state,” Fox Chapel coach Sara Kirsch said. “After our WPIAL runner-up performance last year, we knew this would be a rebuilding year, and it was. Some of our younger players stepped into important roles on the team.”
The coach said Ana Spangenberg, a sophomore setter, was one such player.
Spangenberg was the teams leader in kills and assists in many games.
“Kayla Slovenec, another sophomore, also took on a setting role for the team,” Kirsch said.
Leah Eckman, a junior, and Murphy Patterson, a sophomore, stepped into middle-hitter spots.
“Katie Costanza was a defensive specialist and another sophomore playing an important role,” Kirsch said.
“Often during the season, we had four sophomores on the court at any given time.”
The season, said Kirsch, provided the younger players a lot of experience and sense for the level of play expected to compete in the section.
“We're looking forward to next season,” Kirsch said.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ford City’s teamwork, emotion take center stage in semifinal win over Freeport
- GCC volleyball cruises to semifinal victory to earn rematch with No. 1 Bishop Canevin
- TJ volleyball team gets back to WPIAL finals for 1st time since 2001
- High school roundup: Baldwin earns spot in WPIAL volleyball finals
- Alle-Kiski Valley roundup: Seton-La Salle volleyball edges Knoch
- Freeport girls rally past Montour to reach WPIAL volleyball semifinals
- Thomas Jefferson earns spot in volleyball semifinals after downing South Fayette for 3rd time
- Plum girls volleyball falls in three sets in first round at Baldwin
- Ford City volleyball team reaches quarterfinals
- West Shamokin girls volleyball team falls short in playoffs
- Freeport, Ford City prepare for volleyball quarterfinals