Daily News roundup: Norwin runner headed to state meet
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Norwin's Kelley Giles finished in 18th place in the WPIAL Class AAA girls cross country meet Thursday at Cooper's Lake in Butler County, and her time of 19 minutes, 54 seconds earned her a spot in the PIAA championship meet Nov. 2 in Hershey.
The Norwin girls team finished eighth overall.
The West Mifflin boys team also finished in the top 10, placing ninth in the Class AA division. The top three teams in each class advanced to the state meet.
Elizabeth Forward 3,Beaver 1 — The Warriors were able to hold off Beaver in four sets, 25-20, 22-25, 25-20, 25-14, in the first round of the WPIAL Class AA playoffs.
Thomas Jefferson 3, Kittanning 0 — The Jaguars picked up a straight sets win, 25-15, 25-22, 25-4, and advanced to the quarterfinals.
Indiana 3, Yough 0 — Indiana won in straight sets, 25-11, 25-16, 25-15, in a first-round match in the WPIAL Class AA playoffs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Crosby, Malkin didn’t sign on for this
- Penguins’ Malkin: ‘We’re not a championship team’
- Penguins eliminated with Game 5 overtime loss to Rangers
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- First Amendment experts decry Plum authorities’ warning to students
- Fleury valiant in defeat
- All Pennsylvanians to pay more, GOP gleans from report on Wolf’s tax plan
- 2 Hempfield Area students charged with sexting
- Pittsburgh man identified as Manchester shooting victim
- Rangers’ defensive plan against Penguins was unwavering
- Pitt introduces Barnes as athletic director