High school roundup: Freeport returns to WPIAL Class AA girls volleyball final
TribLIVE Sports Videos
No. 2 Freeport advanced to its fourth WPIAL girls volleyball final in five years by rallying for a 3-2 Class AA semifinal win over Knoch at North Hills. Zoe Pawlak had 17 kills, and Alexis Schrecengost had 14 to lead the Yellowjackets, who won by set scores of 25-22, 21-25, 21-25, 25-15 and 15-7. Celina Sanks had match-best totals of 18 kills and seven blocks for No. 6 Knoch, which split the Section 4-AA title with Freeport in the regular season. Both teams were already assured of a spot in the PIAA tournament next week.
Bethel Park 3, Shaler 1— Olivia Schanck finished with nine kills and 14 digs to lead No. 7 Bethel Park in an upset over Shaler in the WPIAL Class AAA semifinals. Kaileigh Poe recorded 35 assists and Sarah Storino finished with 24 digs for Bethel Park, which will move on to face North Allegheny in the championship match. Shaler will face Norwin in the consolation match on Saturday at Chartiers Valley.
Greensburg Central Catholic 3, OLSH 1 — Leah Bisignani recorded 14 kills to lead No. 2 Greensburg Central Catholic to a WPIAL Class A semifinal victory at North Allegheny. Megan Stunja recorded 10 kills for Greensburg Central Catholic, while Lauren Nolfi finished with seven kills and six aces. The Lady Centurions will move on to face No. 1 Bishop Canevin in the championship match on Saturday at Chartiers Valley.
Bishop Canevin 3, Neshannock 0 — No. 1 Bishop Canevin was able to win in three sets, 25-21, 25-11, 25-13 in the WPIAL Class A semifinals.
Southmoreland 50, Derry 7 — Running back Jake Pisula, who broke the school's single-season rushing record with 1,609 yards, ran for 302 yards and four touchdowns on 32 carries to lead Southmoreland (4-6) to a nonconference victory.
McGuffey 40, Laurel Highlands 0 — Patrick Frey rushed for 120 yards and scored two touchdowns to lead McGuffey (5-5) to a nonconference victory. James Duchi added 113 yards and a touchdown on 13 attempts in the win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LaBar: WWE not backing down from controversy
- LCB, Duquesne University police recover rare bourbon in illegal sale
- Driver leaps from sliding truck just before it topples down hillside in Fawn
- BNY Mellon is putting iconic Citizens Bank Tower up for sale
- 3 in Westmoreland charged in painkiller ring
- End the Toneys’ reign
- Slumping Pitt keeps chin up
- Burrell Township man killed in backhoe accident
- Rossi: In Super city, everything but football matters
- Kennametal plans plant closings, job cuts in fallout from oil and gas decline
- Former Century III Mall general manager waives charges