Nolf wrestling royalty again at Central Mountain event
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Kittanning junior Jason Nolf stood above all his opponents for a second consecutive season at the King of the Mountain wrestling tournament in Mill Hall.
Nolf won another tournament title at Central Mountain's annual event, as he defeated Mifflinburg's Cole Walter, 3-1, Saturday in the finals of the 132-pound weight class.
Nolf, the No. 1 seed, pinned his other four opponents.
As a sophomore, Nolf won the 120-pound title and was named Outstanding Wrestler.
No other Kittanning wrestlers reached the medal rounds this year.
Five wrestlers from Redbank Valley went home with hardware.
Aaron Hook took top honors among the Bulldogs, as he defeated North Hunterdon's Liam Korbul, 3-1, in the third-place match at 182 pounds. Hook lost to eventual champion Jose Ortiz of Bethlehem Catholic, 2-1, in the quarterfinals but battled back with three consolation-bracket wins — each by three points or fewer — to reach his medal match.
Ty Haines (145 pounds) and Cole Shirey (160) each placed fourth after reaching the semifinals. Brandon Bailey (170) came back to take sixth after losing his opening bout. And Willie Gruver (113) finished seventh.
Redbank Valley placed 10th in the 33-team tournament with 99½ points. Kittanning finished in 24th with 58 points.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Malkin, Hornqvist return to Penguins lineup vs. Coyotes
- Rogue Catholics in Society of St. Pius X to reopen West End church
- Players respect coach, refuse to blame Johnston
- Key Pennsylvania judicial races dot landscape
- Clymer woman dies in 2-vehicle crash in Homer City
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- Cal U women win Division II national title with 86-69 win
- Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroin
- Pa. woman charged with forging docs to claim she was an attorney
- Eagle egg breaks, parents abandon nest
- Man in New Kensington standoff charged