Austin leads Penn-Trafford at King of the Mountain
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Penn-Trafford's wrestlers opened the season in a tournament against western Pennsylvania's best. Last weekend, P-T tried its hand against the best in the state.
Devin Austin took the only top-eight placing for P-T out of a group of 11 wrestlers who represented the Warriors at the annual King of the Mountain Tournament at Central Mountain High School on Friday and Saturday.
Austin capped his weekend with a victory in the fifth-place match at 152 pounds, where he scored a 3-1 win over Mark Maloney of Bethlehem Catholic.
Austin won a total of five matches in the tournament, and his two losses came against the top two seeds in his weight class. He lost in the quarterfinals by 17-2 technical fall to top-seeded Austin Matthews of Reynolds, and he fell in sudden victory, 4-2, to John Vaughn of Boiling Springs in the consolation semifinals.
Ryan Winslow joined Austin as the only other Penn-Trafford wrestler to reach the quarterfinals. The P-T 220-pounder scored two falls in the opening rounds before losing to Evan Daley of Fort LeBoeuf, the No. 1 seed at 220.
Winslow was unable to advance in the consolation rounds, however, as he fell by a 14-5 decision to Jake Baker of General McLane.
Jack McGillick also came up one win short of the placing rounds at 195 pounds. He overcame being pinned in the second round to pick up two wins — including his second fall of the tournament — in the consolation bracket before losing, 15-2, to Jordan Wertz of Boyertown.
Will Palarino also picked up a pair of falls for P-T at 170 pounds, but he was eliminated in the third round of the consolation bracket.
The Warriors were scheduled to host a Section 1B-AAA match against Latrobe on Wednesday, after this edition's deadline, in their final action before Christmas.
A win in that match would go a long way toward securing a playoff spot for Penn-Trafford after the team opened section play with a 69-6 win at Indiana on Dec. 12.
Matt Grubba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burrell’s Beattie goes for 3rd PIAA Class AA Southwest Regional title vs. familiar opponent
- Burrell freshman Christie aided by bracket change at wrestling regionals
- Overtime takedown vaults McKeesport’s Ingram into WPIAL semifinals
- Kiski Area heavyweights advance to WPIAL Class AAA semifinals
- Burgettstown senior seeks role reversal at Class AA regionals
- Southmoreland freshman Griffiths aims to take heed of brother’s advice
- Kittanning’s Robb hoping for rematch with West Branch’s Maines in final
- Hempfield’s Kemerer, Logan capture unexpected wins to qualify for WPIAL semifinals
- Tough day for Connellsville wrestlers in regional quarterfinals
- Six BVA wrestlers advance to semifinals
- Southmoreland senior gets brotherly advice in Southwest Regional wrestling championships: Win