Mustangs top Fox Chapel, 37-21
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After a 43-16 loss to Hampton in its Section 3-AAA opener on Dec. 12, the Plum varsity wrestling team hoped to bounce back against section foe Fox Chapel last week.
In front of their home fans at Plum High School, the Mustangs were able to do just that.
Plum won nine of the 13 contested bouts, including five straight from 126 to 152, in a 37-21 victory.
Junior Mike Walkup made his season debut after missing the Eastern Area tournament and the Hampton match.
He got into the win column with a pinfall victory in 3:00 at 132.
Freshman Tommy Zummo earned a 10-7 decision victory at 126, and Walkup's and Zummo's wins started the five-bout streak.
After Walkup's triumph, junior Eric Green got into the act with 13-4 major decision at 138.
Senior Anthony Zummo won 4-2 at 145, while sophomore Zach Martin did the same with a 10-3 victory at 152.
Junior Andy McRandal, who started the season strong at the Eastern Area tournament, continued his winning ways against Fox Chapel, as he won by decision, 3-2, at 170.
Sophomore Nate Turchick had no problems at 182, as he pinned his opponent in only 37 seconds.
Senior Jake DiGuilio also recorded a quick pin, defeating Fox Chapel's Adam Novacic in 1:10 at 220.
Freshman Tony DiNinno, like some of the other first-year varsity performers, continued to gain experience.
It was a positive experience for him against Fox Chapel, as he scored a 9-3 win in his bout at 106.
Plum wrestlers hope to ride the momentum from the victory into the Steve DeAugustino Memorial Tournament, set for Friday and Saturday at West Mifflin High School.
Thirty teams are in the field and wrestling starts Friday at 10:45 a.m.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Franklin Regional wrestling rallies to top Belle Vernon, defends team title
- Latrobe earns return trip to WPIAL Class AAA wrestling semifinals
- Penn-Trafford’s Chishko looking to end freshman season strong
- McGuffey wrestling regains prominence with return to Class AA
- Southmoreland wrestling making 2nd straight trip to WPIAL tournament
- McGuffey tops Kittanning to reach WPIAL wrestling semifinals
- Kittanning wrestlers get ready for final WPIAL Class AA tournament
- BVA wrestlers head to semifinals
- Connellsville falls short in WPIAL Class AAA wrestling quarterfinals
- Burrell makes statement in victory
- High school roundup: No. 3 North Allegheny takes down Canon-Mac