Southmoreland topples Jeannette on mat
TribLIVE Sports Videos
With the most important parts of wrestling season still on the horizon, members of Southmoreland‘s team gained confidence Wednesday as the Scotties topped visiting Jeannette, 54-18, in Section 2-AA (2B).
“We're looking at it as a great match going into counties,” first-year coach Ryan Shaw said concerning the Westmoreland County Coaches Association Meet, which was Friday and Saturday at Franklin Regional.
Seven of the 14 bouts were contested, and the Scotties won six of them, all by pins.
Austin Griffiths (120 pounds), Jorden Beltz (132), Brenden Hernley (145), Sean Suter (152), Shane Cavanaugh (160) and Dakota Datz (182) won by fall.
“Technically, this was Datz's first match,” Shaw said, explaining that Datz has received forfeit wins but has been dealing with a shoulder injury and had not actually faced an opponent until pinning Darryl Guest in 46 seconds Wednesday. “We wanted to see where his shoulder is, and it was good for him. ”
Cavanaugh pinned Cruz White in the second period.
“Cavanaugh has been in and out of the lineup, and for him to get a fall was huge, and I'm proud of him,” Shaw said.
Tyler Lynch (106), Brandon Coles (170) and Jake Beistel (285) each received a forfeit win for the Scotties (2-2, 2-2). “We're starting to turn the page, and we have to decide if we want to cross that line and head for greatness or do we want to stay on the line,” Shaw said. “I think they're starting to get it.”
The Jayhawks (1-3, 1-3) lost 18 points on forfeits, and there were no matches at 113 and 220. Jeannette coach Steve Dominick said another factor came into play.
“The coin toss determined a lot of this match,” Dominick said, adding that Anthony Ruane (138) was not given the opportunity to wrestle for six points. Ruane got a forfeit, but had the coin toss gone Jeannette's way, that forfeit could have been saved for another wrestler. “We didn't get the matchups we wanted.”
Jeannette's only win on the mat was from Conner Van Dyke (126), who posted a second-period fall.
As for the county meet over the weekend, Griffiths placed second at 106 pounds, losing to Luke Pletcher of Latrobe 15-3 in the championship match and Beistel placed third at 285 pounds.
Jason Black is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in preseason loss at Bills
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Pirates, Cubs to make up postponed game Sept. 15
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- QB Vick hits ground running in debut
- Shaler man’s effort restores glory to flag display at Millvale post office
- Architecture: Pittsburgh history in 10 houses
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Pitt star running back Conner remains grounded despite success
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM