Burrell wrestlers oust Mt. Pleasant in Class AA quarterfinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Burrell sat out the first round of the WPIAL team wrestling playoffs Wednesday, the benefit that comes with earning a first-round bye.
Then, the Bucs said bye to Mt. Pleasant.
Top-seeded Burrell, with sights on an unprecedented seventh consecutive WPIAL Class AA championship, started slowly but finished fast in rolling past No. 8 Mt. Pleasant, 52-18, in a quarterfinal match Wednesday in Lower Burrell.
Burrell (13-5), aiming for its 11th straight spot in the finals, advanced to face Chartiers-Houston (9-6) in the semifinals at 6 p.m. Friday at Chartiers Valley.
“We didn't jump out to that big, fast lead like we wanted to, but we settled in as the match went on,” Burrell coach Bud Sines said. “When you have two decent wrestlers like Dakota DesLauriers and Allan Beattie, and you get two forfeits, you're up, 24-0, right away.”
Burrell led, 18-12, seven matches in but got pins from Beattie (285 pounds), Jason Roberts (113) and Steven Edwards (138) to pull away for good.
John Andrejcik (132) picked up a major decision, and Steven Edwards (138) pinned Andy Yoder in 58 seconds to cap the victory. Burrell's other pins came from Cory Klems (170) and DesLauriers (182).
Mt. Pleasant, shifting a number of wrestlers to higher weights, forfeited at 106 and 126.
“When you face a team like that, you can't give them two forfeits, 12 points, right out of the gate,” Mt. Pleasant coach Mike Long said. “They're so dominant, so we had to game-plan and strategize, and bumped some guys around. It doesn't always work out.”
The Vikings' Bobby Long gave Corey Falleroni a good match at 152, despite a re-injured shoulder. Freshman Josh Lind gave up 52 pounds to Beattie and was pinned in 56 seconds.
Mt. Pleasant's Eli Holt topped Shane Cornuet at 220, although Cornuet was hobbled by an apparent ankle injury.
Mike Novak (120) and Justin Overly (195) had pins for the Vikings.
Mt. Pleasant stomped No. 9 Ellwood City earlier in the night in the first round, using eight pins to win, 61-18.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the Local Sports Editor of the Valley News Dispatch. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Beistel overcomes nerves, 1st-round opponent at PIAA Class AA tournament
- EF’s Fournier emerges from prelims at PIAA Class AA tournament
- Redbank Valley’s Truitt, Kittanning’s Robb win PIAA 1st-round bouts
- Belle Vernon Area’s Fine gets into state tournament
- Diabetes doesn’t slow down WPIAL wrestling duo headed for states
- Class AAA wrestlers excited for PIAA debuts
- Southmoreland, Mt. Pleasant wrestlers look forward to states
- Mt. Lebanon senior Stout has legacy that links to Kurt Angle
- Burrell’s Beattie taking final shot at PIAA title
- Kiski Area freshman Reid closes in on PIAA tournament berth
- Norwin wrestling’s Phipps hits century club in championship fashion