Local roundup: Kittanning bounced in WPIAL team quarterfinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For the third time in four seasons, Kittanning made a quarterfinal exit in the WPIAL Class AA team wrestling tournament.
The No. 6 seed Wildcats (12-5), hampered by injuries, posted a 41-24 first-round win over No. 11 West Greene and then lost, 50-22, to No. 3 Jefferson-Morgan (11-4) on Wednesday night at Jefferson-Morgan.
“I was proud of the effort against West Greene; I thought we wrestled well,” coach Brandon Newill said. “Jefferson-Morgan is just deep. They're tough and they have a lot of good guys, so we knew it'd be a struggle, with us giving up as many points as we did.”
In the first-round match, Jason Nolf (132 pounds), Christian Emminger (138), Elliot Zydonik (152), Taylor Jack (160) and David Grafton (285) secured pins for Kittanning, and Jacob Robb (170) added a 16-0 technical fall.
Nolf and Logan Robb (220) won by pin in the quarterfinal, and Jack contributed a 16-3 major decision. But their bonus points failed to offset three pins and a technical fall from Jefferson-Morgan, which also received 24 points via four Kittanning forfeits. The Wildcats and Rockets split the 10 contested matches.
Marion Center 54, West Shamokin 12 — Brian Brown (152) and Brenden Glover (160) secured pins for West Shamokin (0-16), which forfeited six weight classes.
Kittanning 65, Valley 33 — Kittanning (14-3, 7-3) broke open a close Section 1-AAA contest by outscoring Valley, 22-4, in the second quarter. Vince Mead led the Wildcats with 14 points, Noah Kunst followed with 13, and Alek Schaffer and Sterling Henry added 12 and 10, respectively.
Tyler Gardlock finished with 19 points for Valley (3-14, 1-9), which trailed, 7-5, after one quarter.
Kittanning clinched at least third place in the section and secured a playoff spot.
Freeport 57, Ford City 48 — Brendan Lynch scored 14 of his game-high 29 points in the fourth quarter for Freeport (8-7), which trailed, 36-31, through three quarters in the nonsection game.
David Lattanzio led Ford City (4-14) with 21 points, and Jesse Sequeira added 14. Blake Bower grabbed 18 rebounds for the Sabers, who led, 28-21, at halftime.
Apollo-Ridge 56, NeighborhoodAcademy 28 — Ashley Emminger scored 11 points, and Julia Demeno and Rachael Moore each added 10 for Apollo-Ridge (10-8) in the nonsection win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reagan shooter Hinckley closer to permanent freedom
- Van crashes into deck in Scott, motorist taken to hospital
- Steelers won’t be backed into a corner at NFL Draft
- Pirates notebook: GM sticking to plan with Kang
- Pitt football notebook: ‘No. 1 safety’ Mitchell asked to step up
- Cole overcomes rough start as Pirates sweep Brewers
- Monessen man wounded in afternoon shooting
- U.S. attorney general nominee Lynch vote likely this week, U.S. senator says
- Penn Hills soccer star makes time to excel at volleyball
- Daily Courier Roundup: Southmoreland baseball rolls past Derry
- Photo Gallery: St. Sebastian School fifth-graders portray saints