Local roundup: Kittanning bounced in WPIAL team quarterfinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For the third time in four seasons, Kittanning made a quarterfinal exit in the WPIAL Class AA team wrestling tournament.
The No. 6 seed Wildcats (12-5), hampered by injuries, posted a 41-24 first-round win over No. 11 West Greene and then lost, 50-22, to No. 3 Jefferson-Morgan (11-4) on Wednesday night at Jefferson-Morgan.
“I was proud of the effort against West Greene; I thought we wrestled well,” coach Brandon Newill said. “Jefferson-Morgan is just deep. They're tough and they have a lot of good guys, so we knew it'd be a struggle, with us giving up as many points as we did.”
In the first-round match, Jason Nolf (132 pounds), Christian Emminger (138), Elliot Zydonik (152), Taylor Jack (160) and David Grafton (285) secured pins for Kittanning, and Jacob Robb (170) added a 16-0 technical fall.
Nolf and Logan Robb (220) won by pin in the quarterfinal, and Jack contributed a 16-3 major decision. But their bonus points failed to offset three pins and a technical fall from Jefferson-Morgan, which also received 24 points via four Kittanning forfeits. The Wildcats and Rockets split the 10 contested matches.
Marion Center 54, West Shamokin 12 — Brian Brown (152) and Brenden Glover (160) secured pins for West Shamokin (0-16), which forfeited six weight classes.
Kittanning 65, Valley 33 — Kittanning (14-3, 7-3) broke open a close Section 1-AAA contest by outscoring Valley, 22-4, in the second quarter. Vince Mead led the Wildcats with 14 points, Noah Kunst followed with 13, and Alek Schaffer and Sterling Henry added 12 and 10, respectively.
Tyler Gardlock finished with 19 points for Valley (3-14, 1-9), which trailed, 7-5, after one quarter.
Kittanning clinched at least third place in the section and secured a playoff spot.
Freeport 57, Ford City 48 — Brendan Lynch scored 14 of his game-high 29 points in the fourth quarter for Freeport (8-7), which trailed, 36-31, through three quarters in the nonsection game.
David Lattanzio led Ford City (4-14) with 21 points, and Jesse Sequeira added 14. Blake Bower grabbed 18 rebounds for the Sabers, who led, 28-21, at halftime.
Apollo-Ridge 56, Neighborhood Academy 28 — Ashley Emminger scored 11 points, and Julia Demeno and Rachael Moore each added 10 for Apollo-Ridge (10-8) in the nonsection win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- ‘Extreme extrovert’ takes over at WCCC
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Indian Creek Valley Community Center demolition under way
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- Western Pa. volunteers battle wildfires in West