Burrell wrestling falls in PIAA first round
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HERSHEY — Burrell coach Bud Sines and his staff presented a challenge to their wrestlers after a disappointing 34-29 loss to District 3 runner-up Bermudian Springs in the opening round of the PIAA Class AA Team Championship on Thursday at the Giant Center: bounce back.
Bermudian Springs (24-5) won the first four bouts, building a 15-0 lead, and cruised to the win. Three of Burrell's six wins came by forfeit after the match had been decided.
If Burrell wants to earn some hardware this week, it starts Friday with an 8 a.m. consolation round match against District 2 champion Western Wayne, which fell to District 9 champion Redbank Valley in the opening round.
“I have no doubt that we'll come back strong,” Sines said. “We're working with high school kids and hopefully this was a wakeup call.”
Things didn't start out well for Burrell even before the match began. During a mandatory skin check of all wrestlers, an official detected a spot on the back of junior John Andrejcik's neck and wouldn't allow him to weigh in.
“He has the paperwork, but we didn't have it with us when they checked,” Sines said. “It's so small; we didn't think it would cause a problem.”
But it did.
Even though Andrejcik had paperwork from his physician that would allow him to wrestle, the PIAA physician on scene makes the ultimate decision if there is a question, according to PIAA chief operating officer Mark Byers.
“They have the right to get him rechecked on Friday,” Byers said.
Sines said not having Andrejcik hurt, but the team not wrestling to its potential is what cost Burrell the match.
“We didn't win any of the close matches,” Sines said. “That's not what we're trained to do.”
After Bermudian Springs raced to the big lead, Burrell closed to within 15-11 as Steven Edwards (138), Phil Marra (145) and Corey Falleroni (152) picked up decisions. Edwards and Falleroni had major-decision wins.
Bermudian Springs won the next three to put the match out of reach.
Paul Schofield is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins see Stars, blanked by Dallas in opening game
- Plans for Excela orthopedic center move forward
- Mt. Pleasant school board to discuss website plan
- Sluggish wage growth may sap retail spending during winter holidays
- LaBar: Why NXT shouldn’t be compared to RAW
- Big games all around the area
- Bullskin Township/Connellsville Township authority seeks contractor for sewer line
- Connellsville church’s coffeehouse events in 5th season
- Charleroi, Bentworth keep winning
- Carroll pair to stand trial for check theft charges
- Road issues broached in Springfield Township