Forfeits hurt Redbank Valley at PIAA tournament
TribLIVE Sports Videos
HERSHEY — Redbank Valley's first trip to the PIAA Class AA team wrestling tournament didn't exactly turn out how coach Mike Kundick planned, but when two wrestlers are ruled out because of a skin rash, plans get scrapped.
Forfeiting two weight classes during the second day of the tournament proved costly as the District 9 champion fell to Bermudian Springs, 34-30, in the quarterfinals, and then to Saegertown, 32-28, in the second round of consolations.
In both matches, Redbank Valley forfeited the 182- and 195-pound weight classes.
“It wasn't a bad day,” Kundick said. “We wrestled real well for the first time here, but you can't give up 12 points to these teams. We had two wrestlers who weren't allowed to wrestle because of their condition.
“We had to deal with it. We didn't pick up the bonus points that we picked up (Friday). We just didn't get it done.”
Against Bermudian Springs, Redbank Valley actually won seven of the 11 bouts contested, but Bermudian Springs also got pins from Bayley Oberlander (106 pounds), Austin Jackson (138) and Brock Linebaugh (220). Those bonus points proved costly.
Against Saegertown, Redbank Valley again won seven of the 12 bouts contested, but a pin by Saegertown's Devin Brown (106) and major decision wins by Tyler Vath (120) and Garrett Gruver (132) were too much for Redbank Valley to overcome.
Cole Shirey (160) and Ben Carillo (285) had pins for Redbank Valley, while Ty Haines (145) won by a major decision.
“It was a great experience for the kids,” Kundick said. “Some of the kids may never get down here (to Hershey). It's good experience and, individually, it's a lot harder to get here than it is for a team to get here.
“We're wrestling well. Obviously, I'm disappointed. We knew when we weighed in the first day with two guys out of the lineup that hurts. I think we have a great shot at bringing five or six down here (for the individual tournament).”
Paul Schofield is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Penguins look to buck shots, goals trend
- Warhol bodyguard sued over hidden artwork
- Komen acceptance of drilling-linked money raises ire
- Patron alerts store employees to burning Rostraver building
- Fábregas: Cancer-stricken California woman chooses to plan her death
- 9-month probe leads to major heroin bust in McKeesport
- Cafeteria worker tried to stop Washington school shooter
- Jack Bruce, bassist of 60s band Cream, dies at 71