Fox Chapel wrestlers shine on Senior Night
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It was Senior Night at Fox Chapel Area High School on Friday night for the FC wrestling team and local fans left happy.
The Foxes rolled to a 70-10 win over Baldwin as head coach Ron Frank was proud of the Senior Night effort.
“It was a big win and a good reward for the seniors who have worked hard all year,” Frank said. “For them to wrestle and succeed is a credit to them and also to the school.
“It was a great evening for Fox Chapel wrestling.”
Frank said there was a nice crowd in the gym, and 40 alumni wrestlers were on hand to watch the winning effort.
Some of the former Fox Chapel wrestlers in attendance attended high school in the mid-1960s.
“It was great having them there,” Frank said.
The Foxes had six seniors honored —Tyler Lever, Artie Newman, Jared Rice, Drew Davis, Adam Novacic and Emil Lukas.
“We had a few guys who have been with the program for all four years and a few with one or two years experience and we appreciate all of their efforts,” Frank said.
The Foxes will be hosting the Section 3-AAA individual championships on Saturday and Frank is hoping his young team will continue to show improvement.
“We are a very young team that has been getting better,” Frank said. “We start five freshmen and two sophomores in every meet. Half of the team was first-year starters.”
Frank said the team got better as the season progressed and has continued to improve.
“On Saturday, we'll get the opportunity to see how well the lessons we've learned all year come into play,” he said.
The wrestling will begin at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday and the consolation and championship matches are scheduled to start at 6 p.m.
“There will be 12 teams there, and some of the best wrestlers in the state will be on the mats,” Frank said.
“Butler, North Allegheny, North Hills, Plum and Central Catholic are some of the top teams that will be there.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins assistant Martin gets new job title
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Starkey: Pirates, Burnett could work again
- Phone scam from Jamaica reported in Allegheny County
- Police charge women with theft and fraud; one at large
- Four people wounded in North Braddock shooting
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Developer pursues application for Strip District apartments
- Fire forces North Side residents from apartments
- Bacteria found in bread factory not a health hazard, company says
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade