High school roundup: Three Kittanning wrestlers move to semis
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Three Kittanning wrestlers remain in the running for WPIAL Class AA individual titles, and four others still can earn medals and qualify for the PIAA Southwest Regional tournament.
Jason Nolf (132 pounds), Taylor Jack (152) and Zac Croyle (195) will compete in the WPIAL semifinals, which begin at 11:30 a.m. Saturday at Chartiers Valley.
Nolf, a No. 1 seed and two-time returning champion, pinned his only opponent Friday night.
Jack, a No. 2 seed, started with a pin and then won his quarterfinal, 7-4.
Croyle, a No. 2 seed, secured two pins.
Christian Emminger (126), Jacob Robb (160), Elliot Zydonik (170) and Logan Robb (220) start Saturday in the consolation brackets.
West Shamokin junior Brian Brown (145) also opens Saturday in the consolation bracket. He won his first-round match with a pinfall but lost in the quarterfinals.
District 9 — Nine Redbank Valley wrestlers advanced to the semifinals of the District 9 Class AA individual championships Saturday morning at Clarion University. Willie Gruver (113), the No. 1 seed and a defending champion, remains in the mix for gold. Other Bulldog semifinalists include Tanner Altobelli (120), Mitch Blose (126), Ty Haines (145), Cole Shirey (160), Brandon Bailey (170), Aaron Hook (182), Cal Haines (220) and Ben Carrillo (285).
Ford City 7, Baldwin 2 — Jesse Valasek scored five goals, and Eric Lindey finished with a goal and two assists for Ford City (17-2-1) in an Open Class victory.
Adam Cogley made 21 saves in net to earn the win for the Sabers, and Ryan Beerman had 22 stops for Baldwin (11-8-1).
Quaker Valley 3, Kittanning 2 (OT) — Kittanning (12-6-1) gave the defending Class A champion Quakers (20-0) a serious scare in an outdoor game at North Park.
Cameron Langham made 63 saves in net, and Cody Toy and Christian Miller scored for the Wildcats.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mt. Lebanon senior Stout has legacy that links to Kurt Angle
- Burrell’s Beattie taking final shot at PIAA title
- Latrobe’s Pletcher looking to rebound at PIAA tourney following WPIAL loss
- BVA wrestlers eye gold in ‘Chocolate Town’
- Southmoreland, Mt. Pleasant wrestlers look forward to states
- Alle-Kiski Valley wrestling notebook: Veterans, newcomers set for PIAA tournament
- WPIAL title a milestone for Norwin’s Phipps
- Connellsville wrestlers show resilience, punch tickets to Hershey
- Southmoreland senior gets brotherly advice in Southwest Regional wrestling championships: Win
- Kiski Area freshman Reid closes in on PIAA tournament berth
- Kiski Area’s Worthing wins 2nd WPIAL Class AAA wrestling title