Local roundup: Several Alle-Kiski wrestlers headed to WPIAL semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A large quantity of gold medals might end up in the Alle-Kiski Valley area Saturday night as numerous local wrestlers advanced to the semifinals of the WPIAL Class AA individual championships Friday.
Burrell, Kittanning and Valley each have three representatives in the semifinals, which begin at 11:30 a.m. at Chartiers Valley High School. And Highlands' Nolan Wise also stands just one win away from an appearance in the finals.
For Valley, Josiah Hughes (120 pounds), Pat Dewitt (126) and Terrell Fields (182) each remain in contention for titles. Hughes, a No. 2 seed, won his only bout of the day, 4-2. Dewitt, a No. 1 seed and returning champion, secured a pinfall in his only match. And Fields, a returning runner-up, pinned both of his opponents.
Phil Marra (145), Dakota DesLauriers (182) and Al Beattie (285) are semifinalists for Burrell. Marra, a No. 2 seed, advanced with an 11-4 decision and a pin. DesLauriers, a No. 1 seed and defending champion, pinned his only foe in 45 seconds. Beattie, a No. 2 seed, had two pins.
Jason Nolf (132), Taylor Jack (152) and Zac Croyle (195) can earn championships for Kittanning. Nolf, a No. 1 seed and returning champion, pinned his only opponent. Jack, a No. 2 seed, started with a pin and then won his quarterfinal, 7-4. Croyle, a No. 2 seed, secured two pins.
Wise won by pinfall in the first round and then prevailed, 8-5, in the quarterfinals.
Quaker Valley 3, Kittanning 2 (OT) — Despite a brow-raising 63 saves by goaltender Cam Langham, Kittanning fell short of an upset in a PIHL Outdoor Charity Series game at North Park Ice Rink.
Ryan Dickson had two goals, and Clayton Bouchard two assists for the Quakers (21-0).
Cody Toy and Christian Miller scored for Kittanning (12-7-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville, Southmoreland, Mt. Pleasant ready for WPIAL wrestling playoffs
- Kittanning wrestlers get ready for final WPIAL Class AA tournament
- Top-seeded Burrell wrestling sets gold standard
- Hip to flip: WPIAL wrestlers find tumbling skills translate well on mat
- Franklin Regional wrestling states case for No. 1 seed
- Belle Vernon, Burrell get top seeds for WPIAL team wrestling tournament
- High school wrestling notebook: Team tournaments could alter WPIAL seedings
- Kiski Area wrestlers take third in Section 1-AAA
- Freshmen wrestlers help Alle-Kiski Valley teams maintain tradition
- Top-seeded BVA home for WPIAL wrestling playoffs
- Derry wrestlers celebrate anniversary