Ligonier Valley siblings place at PIAA wrestling tournament
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ligonier Valley High School wrestlers Josh Patrick and Justin Patrick competed in the PIAA AA wrestling state tournament recently.
Senior Josh Patrick finished fifth in the 120-pound weight class, winning three matches and losing two. He ended his season with a record of 27-2.
Junior Justin Patrick finished fourth in the 113-pound weight division, competing in six matches, where he won four and lost two. His record for the season was 34-5.
Josh Patrick won an 11-3 major decision against Colin Edsell from Wyalusing High School. He then scored a pin against Matt Williams from Pen Argyl High School at 2:03. In his third bout, Josh lost a 10-5 decision to defending state champion Darian Cruz from Bethlehem Catholic. He then lost again to Matt Welliver from Benton Area High School 5-3 in overtime. “Josh was a little flat in his match following the loss to Cruz and lost a tough overtime bout to Matt Welliver of Benton,” head coach Brian Matson said.
In his final match, Josh Patrick won a 13-3 major decision against Josh Giorgio of Schuylkill Valley High School to take home fifth place.
Justin Patrick won a 9-2 decision against Eric Hunt from Warrior Run High School. He then lost a 3-1 decision to Korbin Myers from Boiling Springs. Justin Patrick won his next three matches, including a 6-3 decision against Stephen Maloney from Bethlehem Catholic and also scored pins against Willis Gruver from Redbank Valley at 0:33 and Josh Brown from Claysburg-Kimmel High School at 3:13. These wins earned Justin Patrick a spot in the third-place match, where he lost again to Korbin Myers in a 4-2 decision.
Matson said the 2013 state champion in the 113-pound class is Mickey Phillippi of Derry Area, whom Justin Patrick beat twice this year.
Peter Turcik is a freelance writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Diabetes doesn’t slow down WPIAL wrestling duo headed for states
- 3 Penn-Trafford wrestlers competing at PIAA championships
- Class AAA wrestlers excited for PIAA debuts
- High school notebook: Latrobe’s Shaffer accepts offer to wrestle at Virginia
- Norwin wrestling’s Phipps hits century club in championship fashion
- South Fayette wrestling pair eyes first PIAA titles
- Plum wrestlers conclude season at WPIALs
- Mt. Lebanon senior Stout has legacy that links to Kurt Angle
- Franklin Regional sending 6 wrestlers to PIAA tourney
- Franklin Regional’s injured Solomon grateful for support
- Gateway’s Conti improves on last year’s WPIAL performance