Ligonier Valley wrestling team opens with dual losses
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Ligonier Valley High School wrestling team traveled Dec. 17 to North Star High School for the first dual match of the season where they lost 46-18. The Ligonier team did win four out of 11 matches, two by pin and two by decision. Derek Croyle scored a pin at 1:06 in the 170-pound weight class. Joseph Shafron, wrestling at 285 pounds also scored a pin at 1:32. Max Caldwell came away with a 2-0 decision in the 132-pound bout and Carlos Chavez wrestling at 113 pounds, won a 5-3 decision.
Unfortunately the Rams had to forfeit the 182, 195 and 220-pound weight classes, because the Ligonier team doesn't have wrestlers to fill the slots. They had to give up 18 points to North Star.
Dan Croyle wrestling at 145 pounds lost a 17-5 major decision. Each of the other losses came by pin. This included Dalton Clark at 4:37 in the 138-pound match. Mitchell Brown lost in 1:01 of the 152-pound bout. Joseph Neiderhiser wrestling at 160 pounds, lost in 1:14 and Gordon Matson lost 3:44 into his bout at 126 pounds.
The Rams competed Dec. 13 and 14 in the Sheetz Holiday Classic tournament at Penn Cambria. Ligonier finished 18th out of 23 teams with 37.5 points. Clark and Nathan Trottier both won three matches and lost two. Clark scored two pins at 1:05 and in 45 seconds. Clark also won a major decision in a later bout with a 16-3 final score. However, Clark lost a 9-5 decision and gave up a pin.
Trottier won twice by pin and once by technical fall, wrestling in the 170-pound division. He pinned his opponents in 4:42 and in only 19 seconds. Trottier won his 6-1 technical fall then gave up two pins.
Caldwell won a match and lost two. He pinned his opponent in 1:15, gave up a pin and lost a 6-5 decision.
Matson lost both of his matches, losing a 9-5 decision and gave up a pin. Brown was the final wrestler for Ligonier, losing two pins.
The Rams traveled Dec. 19 to Penn Cambria and played host Dec. 20 to Richland. The Rams team will wrestle 7 p.m. Jan. 7 in a match against the Blairsville Bobcats at the Ligonier gym.
Peter Turcik is a freelance writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 5 Franklin Regional wrestlers place at Ironman Tournament
- Chartiers Valley wrestling focused on development
- Thomas Jefferson wrestling squad looking strong in early going
- Fox Chapel wrestler Dietz pinning the competition
- With numbers up, Baldwin wrestling program looking to build for the future
- Penn Hills wrestler Campbell dominates in new weight class
- Burrell, Kiski Area wrestling teams set to battle for bragging rights
- Wrestling notebook: Top-ranked Franklin Regional hosts elite duals
- Southmoreland to honor 50 years of wrestling
- Ligonier Valley wrestling team begins season