Belle Vernon Area wrestlers impress at North Hills tourney
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Belle Vernon Area wrestling team captured four victories out of five matches Saturday at the North Hills dual tournament.
BVA (5-1) defeated North Hills, 41-20; Mars, 60-3; Avonworth, 65-12; and Jefferson Morgan, 50-21, while dropping a 43-19 decision to Kiski Area.
“With the Kiski match, it was a lot closer than the final score,” BVA first-year coach Tyler Nauman said. “We were winning two of the matches where the kids got flipped over and pinned and that was a 15-point swing, if not more.
“After the Kiski loss, they just came out and put in on Jefferson Morgan, which is a pretty good Class AA program.”
Going undefeated on Saturday were Milton Kobaly (182 pounds) and Brendan Hasson (120), with five wins apiece.
Kobaly (6-0) defeated Bill Bowlen of Jefferson- Morgan, who is highly-ranked in Class AA and placed fourth in the WPIAL championships last year.
Austin Bell (5-1) went 4-1 with three wins coming via pinfall. He defeated Jonathan Avon of North Hills, 12-9, who placed sixth at the league championships last year.
Also winning four of five individual matches were Jacob Dunlop (106), Cam Evans (138), Josh Godzin (170) and Billy Korber (195).
Four more grapplers earned winning records at the tournament: Hunter Ferrara (3-1 at 220 pounds), Tyler Seliga (3-2 at 113), Mitch Hartman (3-2 at 126), and Patrick Mayernik (3-1 at 220 and 285).
Even with the loss to WPIAL Class AAA powerhouse Kiski Area, BVA has now outscored the opposition, 292-111.
Nauman said his inexperienced team is collectively starting to gain confidence.
“They might not be believing in themselves as much as they should and as much as we do as a coaching staff because a lot of their success has been at the junior high level and not the high school scene,” Nauman said. “It's starting to kick in when they're beating people and realizing they're as good as these other kids even though they're younger.”
BVA travels to Elizabeth Forward at 7:30 p.m. today for a Class AAA Section 2-A clash.
Rick Bruni Jr. is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 724-684-2635.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burrell freshman Christie aided by bracket change at wrestling regionals
- Connellsville’s Kenney wins, pushes toward state berth
- Norwin’s Phipps chasing elusive WPIAL AAA wrestling title this week
- Kiski Area freshman Reid closes in on PIAA tournament berth
- Move to Canon-McMillan means less travel for wrestlers headed to Southwest Regional
- Southmoreland senior gets brotherly advice in Southwest Regional wrestling championships: Win
- Overtime takedown vaults McKeesport’s Ingram into WPIAL semifinals
- Yough’s Sever qualifies for PIAA tourney
- Burrell heavyweight Beattie claims 3rd Class AA Southwest Regional title
- Waynesburg senior Headlee defeats country’s top-ranked at 132 to claim WPIAL Class AAA title