Plum grapplers set for West Mifflin tourney
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Plum varsity wrestling team will make its third appearance at the West Mifflin holiday tournament Friday and Saturday, and the Mustangs hope to fare as well, if not better, than it did in 2011 and 2012.
In 2011, Plum wrestlers took home seven medals, including a first, a second and two thirds.
Last year, the Mustangs captured six medals. They scored fourth-place team finishes both years.
Senior Eric Green placed third last year (138 pounds) and in 2011 (132), and he is a combined 9-2 at the West Mifflin tournament.
Junior Nate Turchick placed fifth at 182 at last year's tournament, and he was third at 170 in 2011. He owns a combine tournament record of 8-3.
Senior Stephen Turchick wrestled at heavyweight both times and owns a pair of fifth-place finishes. He is a combined 10-4 at the West Mifflin tourney.
Junior Zach Martin returns to the West Mifflin tournament after going 5-2 and taking fourth at 152 last year, while senior Andy McRandal was fourth with a 3-2 record at 170.
Wrestling at West Mifflin starts Friday at 8:30 a.m. and continues through the quarterfinals and third round of consolations.
On Saturday, wrestling starts at 9 a.m.
North Hills is the defending team champion.
The Mustangs got their season off to a strong start at the Eastern Area tournament, and they also are 2-0 in Section 3B-AAA dual meets with wins over Hampton, 35-29, on Dec. 11 and Fox Chapel, 45-24, last Thursday.
Sophomore Tommy Zummo recorded a pin at 126 to give Plum a 27-3 lead over Fox Chapel.
The Foxes rallied with wins in four of the next six bouts to close the gap to 36-24.
McRandal then scored a fall at 182 to seal the victory.
The Mustangs also won five matches at the Penn Hills Duals on Dec. 14 and are 7-0 overall. The loss was Fox Chapel's first in seven matches this season.
Six Plum wrestlers already own at least 10 victories, and two — Nathan Turchick (195 and 220) and freshman Dom Davido (120) — have nine each at 9-2 and 9-4, respectively.
Senior Hunter Fenk, the 182-pound champ at the Eastern Area tournament, is undefeated at 10-0 at 182 and 195.
Also with double-digit wins are Zummo (10-2 at 126), Stephen Turchick (11-1 at heavyweight), Martin (10-2 at 152), Green (11-1 at 145) and sophomore Anthony Dininno (11-2 at 106).
McRandal didn't wrestle at the Eastern Area tournament, but since then, he has wrestled to a 5-0 mark at 182.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fire damages state Rep. Ryan Warner’s office in North Union
- Plum officials: District won’t inhibit ‘constitutionally protected speech’
- Grand jury presentment: AG Kane lied, attempted to cover up leak
- Steelers receiver Brown attends workouts despite previous comments
- Man found dead in Lower Burrell
- Special events planned as part of Kennywood’s 2015 season
- Injured Penguins optimistic about returning next season
- Pittsburgh Rock ’n’ Roll Legends Awards, Hard Rock Cafe
- State jumps in UPMC-Highmark dispute
- Lawyers donate thousands of dollars to Pennsylvania Supreme Court race
- Crosby, Malkin want to remain in Pittsburgh