Mt. Pleasant pins Charleroi
By The Valley Independent
Published: Thursday, Jan. 9, 2014, 12:31 a.m.
The Charleroi wrestling team remained winless in Class AA, Section 2B with Wednesday's 42-18 loss to visiting Mt. Pleasant.
With both teams shorthanded, the dual meet featured just four matches as Mt. Pleasant (2-7) was awarded five forfeits. Charleroi (0-2) received two forfeit victories.
Highlighting the evening was a dual between senior 145-pound standouts: a 5-2 victory by Charleroi's Nick Gavazzi over Austin Mears.
A 30-win wrestler last season, Mears had placed fourth at the WPIAL Class AA tournament while Gavazzi was a WPIAL champion.
Also for the Cougars, Tanner Large won a 4-0 decision over Jeremy Lawrence in the 120-pound match.
Ringgold 54, Elizabeth Forward 9
In a Class AAA, Section 2A action, the visiting Rams (4-1) rolled to victory over the host Warriors (0-3). No other information was available on the match.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Nolf’s lone career loss serves as catalyst for continued excellence
- Norwin’s Phipps places 4th at PIAA Class AAA finals
- Kiski Area’s Kuhn draws unbeaten 3-time champ in PIAA Class AAA semifinals
- Valley’s Fields penalized for prematch handslap, leading to loss
- Valley News Dispatch spotlight athletes: Knoch’s John Wilson, Burrell’s Jaila Manga
- Penn-Trafford’s Coy breaks through for WPIAL title
- Southmoreland’s Beistel, Griffiths fall in PIAA quarters
- Southmoreland wrestlers earn narrow wins to qualify for PIAA quarterfinals
- Valley, Burrell advance 3 wrestlers each at state wrestling tournament
- South Allegheny wrestler brings his ‘chip’ to Hershey
- Bethel Park’s Dunn continues hot streak at PIAA tournament