Forfeits plague Rams wrestlers
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Ligonier Valley High School Rams wrestling team recently played host to the Blairsville Wildcats in a dual match. The Rams had to forfeit the 113 and 195-pound weight-classes spotting the Wildcats 12 team points, thus boosting the Blairsville team to a win 39-30. This brings the Rams' dual match record to 1-2 in the season. Ligonier also competed in the Westmoreland County Coaches Association tournament, where they finished 14th out of 17 schools with 30 team points. Dan Croyle finished in sixth place in the 138 pound weight-class division.
Against Blairsville, Joseph Shafron, 285 pounds; Raymond Marsh, 220 pounds; Dalton Clark, 138 pounds and Dan Croyle, 145 pounds, all won their bouts by pin. Shafron finished in 1:21, Marsh, 3:08; Clark, 55 seconds and Croyle in a minute. Carlos Chavez and Gordon Matson both came away with decision wins, Chavez 9-3 and Matson 6-0.
Max Caldwell lost an 8-5 decision in the 132 pound class, while Joseph Neiderhiser, 160 pounds; Nathan Trottier, at 170; Justin Bellas, 182; and Nathan Hockenberry, 152 all gave up pins to their opponents.
Before that in the WCCA Tournament, Dan Croyle earned five team points winning two of his five bouts at 138 pounds by 6-0 and 11-6. Croyle lost a 6-5 decision, an 11-1 major decision and gave up a pin. Chavez earned six team points, Trottier 5.5 and Marsh 7 points, as each wrestler won two matches and lost two. Chavez won his first bout with a 9-1 major decision and pinned his third opponent in 1:13. He gave up a pin at the 3:23 mark of his second match and lost a 15-5 major decision in his final bout. Trottier won a technical fall and a 10-0 major decision. He also gave up pins at 2:38 and 2:51. Marsh pinned two opponents, one at 5:08 and another at 1:19. He also lost two bouts by pin.
Clark, wrestling at 132, and Maxwell at 126 and Shafron each beat one opponent and lost to two. Shafron won a 2:19 pin, earning the team four points and lost twice by pin. Clark scored a technical fall, earning 2.5 points, gave up a technical fall and lost an 8-2 decision. Caldwell took his victory as the result of an injury default, worth four team points. He lost a 3-0 decision, and gave up a technical fall.
Justin Bellas as well as Matson and Hockenberry each lost their two matches. Hockenberry lost by technical fall and a 13-0 major decision. Matson gave up a pin and was forced to concede because of injury. Bellas gave up two pins.
The Rams will wrestle 6:45 p.m. Wednesday at home against Northern Cambria.
Peter Turcik is a contributing writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy TV’s odds
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- MLB notebook: Astros fire manager amid dismal season
- Bike lane work to affect Penn Avenue in Pittsburgh
- NFL notebook: Rams leave Sam off practice squad
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- East Allegheny teachers set to strike on Tuesday
- Surveillance video in Wal-Mart police killing sought
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Districts aim to win back students from cyber charters