Wrestling section tourneys today
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Belle Vernon Area, Ringgold, Yough and Bentworth embark on the first leg of the WPIAL section team wrestling tournaments today.
BVA and Ringgold will be competing in the Section 2 AAA tourney, while Yough and Bentworth are in the Section 2 AA event.
The Section 2 AAA tournament is at Peters Township, with the fifth-place consolations at Upper St. Clair.
At Peters Township, the semifinals will see section champ BVA (6-0) taking on Mt. Lebanon (4-1) and Peters Township (5-0) opposing Connellsville (5-1) at 6 p.m.
The winners will meet at 7:30 p.m. for the section championship. The losers will wrestle for playoff positions.
At Upper St. Clair, the hosts (3-2) take on Ringgold (4-2) at 7 p.m.
The Section 2 AA tournament will be at Derry, while the fifth-place consolations are set for Southmoreland.
At Derry, the hosts (5-0) go against Bentworth (4-1) with Yough (4-1) wrestling Jefferson-Morgan (5-0) at 6 p.m.
Like at Peters Township, the winners at Derry will meet for the section title at 7:30 p.m.
At Southmoreland, the Scotties (2-3) and West Greene (2-3) will meet 7 p.m. for fifth place.
The top five teams from each section qualify for the WPIAL team tournaments, which get under way Monday.
Jeff Oliver is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2666 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Malkin picture muddy
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Pittsburgh rallies for second year of Pirates magic
- New Latrobe hockey coach likes direction of team
- Animal Friends receives $1.5 million state grant
- Dallas hospital confirms 1st Ebola case in U.S.
- Public station WQED cutting staff in face of financial woes
- District college notebook: St. Vincent men’s soccer rallies for victory
- I-79 line painting begins Thursday
- License fee decreases approved