Ringgold wrestlers edge USC
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Ringgold moved on to the WPIAL wrestling team playoffs Wednesday by beating host Upper St. Clair, 27-25, in a fifth-place consolation match for Section 2 AAA.
The Rams trailed 25-24 going into the final match of the night before Brandon Heinzelman (152 pounds) won a 12-5 decision to seal the win for Ringgold.
“That was a huge win for him on several counts,” said Ringgold coach Bob Bove. “Not only did it win us the match, but he was a little banged up and I actually didn't want to use him.
“Brandon had an elbow injury and he said he wanted to go. He sucked it up and pulled out the win for the team.”
The Rams (7-8) got a major decision from Kenny Tarpley (132) and decisions from Tyus Bundy (106), Doug Gudenburr (120), Devin Fallenstein (170) and Taylor Bass (Hvy).
Tarpley upped his record to 25-2 on the season as he inches closer to his 100th career win.
Fallenstein is 21-1.
“I didn't expect this match to be this close, but I knew it would be a close match,” Bove said. “We came out like a team that hadn't done anything for two days. We were sluggish. But I'm glad we did enough to pull it out.”
Ringgold will likely wrestle in a pig-tail match Monday against an opponent to be determined. If the Rams win, they will advance to the team tournament.
Section 2 AA
At Derry, Bentworth defeated Yough, 45-38, in the consolation match to advance to the WPIAL team tournament.
The action started with Derry knocking off Bentworth, 43-30, and Yough losing to Jefferson-Morgan, 49-21.
Jeff-Morgan beat Derry in the championship, 54-30.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL heavyweights take 3 spots in PIAA Class AA semifinals
- PIAA first-round wins fashionable for Kiski Area wrestlers, Burrell’s Beattie
- Belle Vernon Area’s Fine gets into state tournament
- North Hills’ Curry ends curse at PIAA Class AAA tournament
- Plum wrestlers conclude season at WPIALs
- McCoy leads 4 Latrobe wrestlers into PIAA Class AAA quarterfinals
- Mauro, Beistel, Kenney get through tough 1st round in Hershey
- Elizabeth Forward senior Fournier uses pins to reach PIAA quarterfinals
- EF’s Fournier emerges from prelims at PIAA Class AA tournament
- Mt. Lebanon senior Stout has legacy that links to Kurt Angle
- 3 Penn-Trafford wrestlers competing at PIAA championships