Connellsville, Southmoreland learn WPIAL wrestling opponents
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After a disappointing showing in the Section 2-AAA team playoffs, the Connellsville wrestling team will try to regroup as it prepares for the WPIAL Class AAA tournament.
Connellsville lost to Peters Township and Latrobe in the section playoffs and was slotted as the section's fourth seed.
The Falcons (15-6) will wrestle West Allegheny in a WPIAL preliminary-round match at 6 p.m. Monday at Chartiers Valley.
The winner of Monday's match will earn the right to face second-seeded Latrobe in a first-round match Wednesday at Latrobe.
The Wildcats beat the Falcons, 49-15, in the season opener in December.
Since the WPIAL team tournament began in 1979, only Connellsville has qualified every year.
In Class AA, Southmoreland (3-3) will be a part of the WPIAL team playoffs after a 41-37 victory over West Greene in a match to determine the fifth and final playoff seed from Section 2-AA.
The Scotties will wrestle second-seeded South Fayette at 6 p.m. Wednesday at South Fayette.
— Staff report
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Starkey: Pirates, Burnett could work again
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers
- Victim of Monessen standoff committed suicide
- Elizabeth police under new leadership
- House Dem panel meets in Monessen
- Westmoreland County gets the word out about drug problem
- Lower Burrell sewer projects will cost millions
- Blaze ravages South Huntingdon home
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- State grant to aid Excela plans for orthopedic center in Hempfield