Connellsville, Southmoreland learn WPIAL wrestling opponents
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After a disappointing showing in the Section 2-AAA team playoffs, the Connellsville wrestling team will try to regroup as it prepares for the WPIAL Class AAA tournament.
Connellsville lost to Peters Township and Latrobe in the section playoffs and was slotted as the section's fourth seed.
The Falcons (15-6) will wrestle West Allegheny in a WPIAL preliminary-round match at 6 p.m. Monday at Chartiers Valley.
The winner of Monday's match will earn the right to face second-seeded Latrobe in a first-round match Wednesday at Latrobe.
The Wildcats beat the Falcons, 49-15, in the season opener in December.
Since the WPIAL team tournament began in 1979, only Connellsville has qualified every year.
In Class AA, Southmoreland (3-3) will be a part of the WPIAL team playoffs after a 41-37 victory over West Greene in a match to determine the fifth and final playoff seed from Section 2-AA.
The Scotties will wrestle second-seeded South Fayette at 6 p.m. Wednesday at South Fayette.
— Staff report
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- With Malkin out, Penguins fall to Flyers, 4-1
- Ligonier Township business will have to control grease
- Teacher from Mt. Lebanon kept home, made repairs around house
- Authorities release name of Greensburg man who jumped off overpass onto Route 30
- Former Plum teacher says he warned district about possible inappropriate conduct
- Pirates’ McCutchen leaves game early, says he is not hurt
- Freeport Area moves ahead with high school turning lanes
- Legislator discusses gas tax, budget at Seven Springs luncheon
- EDMC schools on federal list for poor financial management
- Pirates planning on maximizing the versatility of Rodriguez
- Jeannette teen ordered to stand trial in classmate’s slaying