Connellsville, Southmoreland learn WPIAL wrestling opponents
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After a disappointing showing in the Section 2-AAA team playoffs, the Connellsville wrestling team will try to regroup as it prepares for the WPIAL Class AAA tournament.
Connellsville lost to Peters Township and Latrobe in the section playoffs and was slotted as the section's fourth seed.
The Falcons (15-6) will wrestle West Allegheny in a WPIAL preliminary-round match at 6 p.m. Monday at Chartiers Valley.
The winner of Monday's match will earn the right to face second-seeded Latrobe in a first-round match Wednesday at Latrobe.
The Wildcats beat the Falcons, 49-15, in the season opener in December.
Since the WPIAL team tournament began in 1979, only Connellsville has qualified every year.
In Class AA, Southmoreland (3-3) will be a part of the WPIAL team playoffs after a 41-37 victory over West Greene in a match to determine the fifth and final playoff seed from Section 2-AA.
The Scotties will wrestle second-seeded South Fayette at 6 p.m. Wednesday at South Fayette.
— Staff report
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Meteor lights up night sky above eastern U.S.
- Mon Valley experts react to domestic abuse reports
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Dorfman: Pluses and minuses in America’s 20 largest stocks
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Steelers veteran defenders want young teammates to step up
- Wheel separation incidents occasionally prove deadly; NTSB doesn’t track them
- Classical music crisis: Author says schools today aren’t building audiences
- Kent State provocation with ‘blood’ sweatshirt denied
- Pitt football coach Chryst refutes analyst Wannstedt’s opinion
- Fracking not the problem, Ohio State scientist finds