Connellsville, Southmoreland learn WPIAL wrestling opponents
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After a disappointing showing in the Section 2-AAA team playoffs, the Connellsville wrestling team will try to regroup as it prepares for the WPIAL Class AAA tournament.
Connellsville lost to Peters Township and Latrobe in the section playoffs and was slotted as the section's fourth seed.
The Falcons (15-6) will wrestle West Allegheny in a WPIAL preliminary-round match at 6 p.m. Monday at Chartiers Valley.
The winner of Monday's match will earn the right to face second-seeded Latrobe in a first-round match Wednesday at Latrobe.
The Wildcats beat the Falcons, 49-15, in the season opener in December.
Since the WPIAL team tournament began in 1979, only Connellsville has qualified every year.
In Class AA, Southmoreland (3-3) will be a part of the WPIAL team playoffs after a 41-37 victory over West Greene in a match to determine the fifth and final playoff seed from Section 2-AA.
The Scotties will wrestle second-seeded South Fayette at 6 p.m. Wednesday at South Fayette.
— Staff report
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Mt. Pleasant seeks on-street bike trail through downtown
- Trial near for Shaler man paralyzed in Pittsburgh police shooting
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job
- Baldwin native McNulty’s storied legal career leads to Grove City post