Yough slips into Class AA team tournanment
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Yough varsity wrestling team qualified for this week's WPIAL AA team championships by placing fourth in the Section 2-AA championships held Jan. 22 at Derry Area High School.
The Cougars, who finished second in their subsection, first faced Jefferson Morgan in the semifinals of the section tournament. Yough was defeated, 49-21.
Winning their bouts for the Cougars were Cody Charles (120 pounds) by 5-0 decision, Dante Botti (126) by fall at 3:58, Teddy Charletta (132) by forfeit, Jerry Koza (195) by 2-0 decision and Thomas Sever (220) by 7-2 decision.
Yough then lost to Bentworth in the consolation round, 45-30. Victorious Cougars were Zack Charles (113) by 10-4 decision, Charletta (138) by forfeit, Lucas Richardson (170) by forfeit, Clay Waldron (182) by forfeit, Koza (195) by 4-1 decision in overtime and Sever (220) by forfeit.
The Cougars were scheduled to face Kittanning Wednesday night at Jefferson Morgan High School in the first round of the WPIAL AA team championship tournament.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ford City man charged with molesting teen
- Coca-Cola shaves incentives for executives
- DC Picks: Connellsville will get back into win column
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Rayburn offices moving to regular business hours
- Schools converge for Armstrong County Marching Band Festival
- The Leader expecting more surprises this week
- Search for pilot of ultralight aircraft to resume Thursday
- State agency honors Manorville man for hooking up kids with fishing gear
- C&S Hardware, a Main Street fixture for 20 years, closes in Saxonburg
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game