Yough slips into Class AA team tournanment
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Yough varsity wrestling team qualified for this week's WPIAL AA team championships by placing fourth in the Section 2-AA championships held Jan. 22 at Derry Area High School.
The Cougars, who finished second in their subsection, first faced Jefferson Morgan in the semifinals of the section tournament. Yough was defeated, 49-21.
Winning their bouts for the Cougars were Cody Charles (120 pounds) by 5-0 decision, Dante Botti (126) by fall at 3:58, Teddy Charletta (132) by forfeit, Jerry Koza (195) by 2-0 decision and Thomas Sever (220) by 7-2 decision.
Yough then lost to Bentworth in the consolation round, 45-30. Victorious Cougars were Zack Charles (113) by 10-4 decision, Charletta (138) by forfeit, Lucas Richardson (170) by forfeit, Clay Waldron (182) by forfeit, Koza (195) by 4-1 decision in overtime and Sever (220) by forfeit.
The Cougars were scheduled to face Kittanning Wednesday night at Jefferson Morgan High School in the first round of the WPIAL AA team championship tournament.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shoulder injury sidelines top-seeded 126-pounder at WPIAL wrestling tournament
- Move to Canon-McMillan means less travel for wrestlers headed to Southwest Regional
- Kiski Area freshman Reid closes in on PIAA tournament berth
- Connellsville’s Kenney wins, pushes toward state berth
- West Mifflin wrestler Bonacci making up for lost time
- Conti representing Gateway at WPIAL wrestling tourney
- Penn Hills star wrestler has No. 1 seed in WPIAL, no stomach pains
- Southmoreland, Mt. Pleasant wrestlers chase PIAA berths
- High school wrestling roundup: Franklin Regional sends 10 to WPIAL tourney
- Wrestlers hope to benefit from numbers increase at PIAA championships
- BVA, Ringgold wrestlers seeking WPIAL titles