Yough slips into Class AA team tournanment
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Yough varsity wrestling team qualified for this week's WPIAL AA team championships by placing fourth in the Section 2-AA championships held Jan. 22 at Derry Area High School.
The Cougars, who finished second in their subsection, first faced Jefferson Morgan in the semifinals of the section tournament. Yough was defeated, 49-21.
Winning their bouts for the Cougars were Cody Charles (120 pounds) by 5-0 decision, Dante Botti (126) by fall at 3:58, Teddy Charletta (132) by forfeit, Jerry Koza (195) by 2-0 decision and Thomas Sever (220) by 7-2 decision.
Yough then lost to Bentworth in the consolation round, 45-30. Victorious Cougars were Zack Charles (113) by 10-4 decision, Charletta (138) by forfeit, Lucas Richardson (170) by forfeit, Clay Waldron (182) by forfeit, Koza (195) by 4-1 decision in overtime and Sever (220) by forfeit.
The Cougars were scheduled to face Kittanning Wednesday night at Jefferson Morgan High School in the first round of the WPIAL AA team championship tournament.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Marte’s bat, Worley’s arm show improvement in Pirates win
- Penguins pushing to sell playoff tickets
- Stakes raised for Pitt spring game
- Knoch’s Geist sets shot put, discus records at Butler Invitational
- Greensburg high school roundup: Norwin edges section rival Penn-Trafford
- Mackey: For Pens’ Winnik, playing with Crosby an ongoing process
- Penguins stars Crosby, Malkin enduring playoff slump
- North Hills-area family continues helping out-of-town patients
- Steelers visit with Arizona State receiver Strong, claim long snapper
- Penguins’ 4th line a bright spot in Game 1 loss
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart