Yough slips into Class AA team tournanment
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Yough varsity wrestling team qualified for this week's WPIAL AA team championships by placing fourth in the Section 2-AA championships held Jan. 22 at Derry Area High School.
The Cougars, who finished second in their subsection, first faced Jefferson Morgan in the semifinals of the section tournament. Yough was defeated, 49-21.
Winning their bouts for the Cougars were Cody Charles (120 pounds) by 5-0 decision, Dante Botti (126) by fall at 3:58, Teddy Charletta (132) by forfeit, Jerry Koza (195) by 2-0 decision and Thomas Sever (220) by 7-2 decision.
Yough then lost to Bentworth in the consolation round, 45-30. Victorious Cougars were Zack Charles (113) by 10-4 decision, Charletta (138) by forfeit, Lucas Richardson (170) by forfeit, Clay Waldron (182) by forfeit, Koza (195) by 4-1 decision in overtime and Sever (220) by forfeit.
The Cougars were scheduled to face Kittanning Wednesday night at Jefferson Morgan High School in the first round of the WPIAL AA team championship tournament.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For Steelers outside linebacker Jones, size is not an obstacle
- Pirates top Cardinals, 5-2, on Davis’ homer; Alvarez, McCutchen hurt
- Latrobe law firm’s secretary pleads guilty to income tax evasion
- Steelers notebook: Team cuts 15 players, including LB So’oto, RB Hall
- Steelers cornerbacks Allen, Gay, Taylor have something to prove
- Indiana County township ‘afraid for the water’ fights waste well
- Western Pennsylvania drivers at bottom of insurer’s safety rankings
- Mystery continues to surround Hill District slaying
- Greensburg Central influence follows Delaware quarterback
- Dem Wolf eyes shale’s ‘golden egg’ to boost school funding
- Washington & Jefferson football team is set to make some D-III history