Greensburg Tribune-Review grappler Q&A: Franklin Regional's Spencer Lee
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Claim to fame: Lee (33-0), who helped Franklin Regional to its first WPIAL Class AAA team championship Saturday, finished first at the Westmoreland County Coaches Association tournament in the 113-pound weight class last month after defeating Latrobe's Ethan McCoy, 9-5. Lee also finished first at the Powerade Christmas Tournament and Ironman Tournament.
“I feel like we are striving to achieve all of our goals,” Lee said. “Franklin Regional hasn't won a state title. I'm just trying to focus on contributing to the team as we try to win our first team state title.”
With all your success early on in your career, how do you stay motivated?
You have to push yourself to achieve your goals. You can't relax at any moment if you want to continue on this path we are on. We just got to keep pushing to achieve our goals.
When do you think you're at your best on the mat?
I feel like I'm at my best when I'm out there having fun and smiling. If you're not having fun and achieving your goals, you're doing the sport wrong.
What do you like about wrestling that you don't get from any other sport?
I feel like wrestling helps you with life. What you put into the sport, that's what you get out of it. If you put a lot of work into your education, you will get a scholarship. It will help you with your life when you're not wrestling.
Who has helped you throughout your wrestling career?
I would have to start with my teammates and my coaches. They tell me what I'm doing right, wrong and what I can improve on. Also, my dad has been there sine I started to wrestle at 6 years old. Finally, my friends have contributed to my success.
What do you need to do to continue your success?
I need to relax and focus. I can't get stressed out on the mat and I just need to wrestle. It doesn't matter who I wrestle.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Detained Americans plead U.S. for assistance
- President’s Labor Day appearance heavy on politicking
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Pressure on European Central Bank grows as economic recovery founders
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump