Yough sends 7 grapplers to WPIAL AA tournament
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Seven Yough wrestlers are bound for the WPIAL Class AA tournament after placing in the top five in their respective weight classes at the Section 2-AA championships held Saturday at Charleroi Area High School.
Yough junior Tom Sever became section champion after starting the tournament as the No. 3 seed at 220 pounds.
Sever faced Harley Gee of Mapletown in the semifinal round. He pinned Gee at 2:58 and then was victorious over Mt. Pleasant's Josh Lind in the final with a 3-1 decision.
Jerry Koza (195) won his semifinal bout against Noah Wiencek of Derry Area in a 3-1 decision. Koza finished second after losing to Anthony Patterson of Jefferson Morgan.
Clay Waldron (182) pinned Beth-Center's Colton Dillon at 1:09 in the quarterfinal round and also beat Derry Area's Joseph Kelly by fall at 3:07 in the semifinals. Waldron lost the final round bout against Dalton Wildman of West Greene in a close 5-4 decision to garner second place.
Lucas Richardson (170) was another silver medal winner. He beat Bentworth's Paul Mizia in the semifinals by 4-3 decision before falling to Bill Bowlen of Jefferson Morgan in a 5-2 decision.
John-Paul Sommers (145) lost his quarterfinal bout against Jeannette's Anthony Ruane in a 5-2 decision. Sommers then defeated Southmoreland's Aran Brubacher in a 3-0 decision, lost to George Rogers of Washington and finished in fifth place by beating Drake Westerbeck of Derry Area in a 3-2 decision.
Teddy Charletta (132) was a No. 2 seed and proceeded to defeat Derry Area's Austin Jellison in a 15-2 major decision. Charletta then beat Ty Mitchell of Bentworth in a 10-3 decision before losing in the final round to Southmoreland's Evan Myers in a 2-0 decision and securing the silver medal.
Zack Charles (113) won his quarterfinal bout against Tim Welsh of Beth-Center by fall at 1:34. He lost his semifinal bout against Brendan Howard of Jefferson Morgan, but won his first consolation round bout by beating Chad Gurdish of Bentworth in a 4-1 decision. Charles then had to settle for fourth place after being beaten by Cole Wano of Derry Area.
These seven Yough wrestlers advance to the WPIAL District 7 AA tournament that starts Friday at Chartiers Valley High School.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL heavyweights take 3 spots in PIAA Class AA semifinals
- PIAA first-round wins fashionable for Kiski Area wrestlers, Burrell’s Beattie
- Diabetes doesn’t slow down WPIAL wrestling duo headed for states
- Mauro, Beistel, Kenney get through tough 1st round in Hershey
- North Hills’ Curry ends curse at PIAA Class AAA tournament
- Elizabeth Forward senior Fournier uses pins to reach PIAA quarterfinals
- Kiski Area’s Worthing wins 2nd WPIAL Class AAA wrestling title
- WPIAL title a milestone for Norwin’s Phipps
- Mt. Lebanon senior Stout has legacy that links to Kurt Angle
- Franklin Regional sending 6 wrestlers to PIAA tourney
- Belle Vernon Area’s Fine gets into state tournament