Yough sends 7 grapplers to WPIAL AA tournament
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Seven Yough wrestlers are bound for the WPIAL Class AA tournament after placing in the top five in their respective weight classes at the Section 2-AA championships held Saturday at Charleroi Area High School.
Yough junior Tom Sever became section champion after starting the tournament as the No. 3 seed at 220 pounds.
Sever faced Harley Gee of Mapletown in the semifinal round. He pinned Gee at 2:58 and then was victorious over Mt. Pleasant's Josh Lind in the final with a 3-1 decision.
Jerry Koza (195) won his semifinal bout against Noah Wiencek of Derry Area in a 3-1 decision. Koza finished second after losing to Anthony Patterson of Jefferson Morgan.
Clay Waldron (182) pinned Beth-Center's Colton Dillon at 1:09 in the quarterfinal round and also beat Derry Area's Joseph Kelly by fall at 3:07 in the semifinals. Waldron lost the final round bout against Dalton Wildman of West Greene in a close 5-4 decision to garner second place.
Lucas Richardson (170) was another silver medal winner. He beat Bentworth's Paul Mizia in the semifinals by 4-3 decision before falling to Bill Bowlen of Jefferson Morgan in a 5-2 decision.
John-Paul Sommers (145) lost his quarterfinal bout against Jeannette's Anthony Ruane in a 5-2 decision. Sommers then defeated Southmoreland's Aran Brubacher in a 3-0 decision, lost to George Rogers of Washington and finished in fifth place by beating Drake Westerbeck of Derry Area in a 3-2 decision.
Teddy Charletta (132) was a No. 2 seed and proceeded to defeat Derry Area's Austin Jellison in a 15-2 major decision. Charletta then beat Ty Mitchell of Bentworth in a 10-3 decision before losing in the final round to Southmoreland's Evan Myers in a 2-0 decision and securing the silver medal.
Zack Charles (113) won his quarterfinal bout against Tim Welsh of Beth-Center by fall at 1:34. He lost his semifinal bout against Brendan Howard of Jefferson Morgan, but won his first consolation round bout by beating Chad Gurdish of Bentworth in a 4-1 decision. Charles then had to settle for fourth place after being beaten by Cole Wano of Derry Area.
These seven Yough wrestlers advance to the WPIAL District 7 AA tournament that starts Friday at Chartiers Valley High School.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hurdle says Pirates must eliminate defensive gaffes
- NHL notebook: Red Wings waiting for AHL team to finish before naming coach
- Storms knock out power to several hundred in Western Pa.
- Steelers’ defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential
- Judge: UPMC must provide in-network access to Highmark Medicare members
- Islamic State group claims Shiite mosque blast in Saudi Arabia
- Chinese artillery spotted on artificial island
- Silk Road founder Ulbricht gets life term for drug-selling website
- EPA trims ethanol increase in gasoline
- Penn State lands 4-star offensive lineman from Reading
- Man dies trying to escape fire at his North Buffalo home