Wrestlers spot opponents 24 points
TribLIVE Sports Videos
In a three-match series, the Ligonier Valley High School wrestling team competed in a tri-meet round robin at Everett Area High School, where the Rams fell to Everett 48-36 and Berlin Brothersvalley High School 58-18. Ligonier then returned home and played host to Heritage Conference opponent Cambria Heights, where the Highlanders took home a 46-23 victory.
Ligonier Valley forfeited the 113, 120, 160 and 195-pound weight classes in both of the tri-meet matches, spotting their opponents 24 team points. The Rams also forfeited the 126-pound division in the match against Everett, but were gifted forfeit points in the 106 and 138-pound classes. On the mat, Thomas Mauk lost his match at 145 pounds, Joseph Shafron, 285 pounds and Justin Bellas, wrestling in the 182-pound division. Each of these losses came by pin
In the plus win column, the Rams scored four victories on the mat, each by pinning an Everett opponent. Nathan Trottier grabbed his 17th win of the season in just 45 seconds of the 170-pound contest. Joseph Neiderhiser won the 152-pound bout in 1:07, his 10th this season. Max Caldwell competed at 132 pounds, winning his 12th in 3:02. Ray Marsh registered his ninth win of the season at 220 pounds in 3:16.
The Rams won four bouts on the mat and lost five to Berlin Brothersvalley. Caldwell lost a 9-0 major decision in the 126-pound matchup. Mauk, wrestling at 138 pounds, Bellas, and Nathaniel Hockenberry in the 145-pound division, all gave up pins.
Trottier and Marsh each pinned their opponents; Trottier in 3:04 and Marsh at the 5:25 mark. Dalton Clark, 132 pounds and Carlos Chavez, 106 pounds, both won by decision. Clark won his 19th of the season by a score of 4-0. Chavez won an 8-2 decision, his 17th win of the season.
Returning to conference action, Ligonier forfeited the 120, 160 and 195-pound divisions, but received a forfeit in the 220-pound class. The Rams gave up four pins and a major decision on the mat. Clark lost the 11-1 major decision, while Hockenberry, Shafron, Trottier, moving up to 182 pounds, and Dereck Croyle wrestling at 170 pounds, each lost by pin.
Caldwell at the 126 weight class scored a pin in 3:21. Dan Croyle a 138 division wrestler won by technical fall. Neiderhiser won an 8-2 decision and Chavez moving up to 113 pounds, won by an 8-3 decision.
Peter Turcik is a contributing writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Mt. Lebanon senior Stout has legacy that links to Kurt Angle
- Burrell’s Beattie taking final shot at PIAA title
- BVA wrestlers eye gold in ‘Chocolate Town’
- Latrobe’s Pletcher looking to rebound at PIAA tourney following WPIAL loss
- Southmoreland, Mt. Pleasant wrestlers look forward to states
- Connellsville wrestlers show resilience, punch tickets to Hershey
- Alle-Kiski Valley wrestling notebook: Veterans, newcomers set for PIAA tournament
- Kittanning wrestler Robb plans to learn from SW Region finals loss
- WPIAL title a milestone for Norwin’s Phipps
- Southmoreland junior still learning amid success
- Shoulder injury sidelines top-seeded 126-pounder at WPIAL wrestling tournament