Valley News Dispatch grappler Q&A: Plum's Eric Green
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Plum senior Eric Green (27-6), who has nine pins and 10 decisions this season, finished second in the 145-weight class at the Allegheny County tournament after losing a 5-0 decision to Upper St. Clair's Corey Wilding. Green finished third at the Eastern Area tournament and fourth at the Steve DeAugustine Tournament at West Mifflin earlier in the season.
What are your college plans for next season?
I committed to Wheeling Jesuit and I will wrestle 149 or 157 there next year. I really like the coach. It's a new program so I hope I can say I was with the program when it blossoms. I really like the campus. It had exactly what I wanted educational-wise. I want to get my BA in chemistry and doctorate in physical therapy. But I will start with a nursing major.
Are you wrestling at your natural body weight?
I was about 160 before the season started. Usually for me, I lose a lot of weight as the season goes along. It's really tough to make weight at the beginning. It's not natural for me, but as the season goes I'm able to manage my weight.
Do you feel like you're at your peak condition right now?
I feel stronger for my weight class than other years. I definitely feel more calm and collected than when I first started in my freshman year.
Who has been most instrumental during your wrestling career?
It would just be my teammates and practice partners. They push me to do better in tournaments. I don't have a favorite wrestler or anything like that.
What is your mindset going into the individual portion of the season?
I do want to finish the section as a champion and move onto WPIALs. Before the season, I had a goal of placing at states.
When do you feel most comfortable on the mat?
I feel pretty comfortable when I'm on my feet or I'm at a scramble.
— Andrew John
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Holocaust survivor shares his story again
- Ramp dedicated to slain McKeesport officer’s memory
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Shelter’s spat with YCC is delayed
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- ROAD RULES
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire